5 - 7 years experience •
Virtual work setting supervises daily operations specific to national coding services. Develop staff coverage strategies to maintain consistent productivity flow. Develops, executes and monitors individual coder quality and productivity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Others may be assigned.
Supervises daily operations specific to coding and DNFB, DNFC monitoring for assignments. Supports coding specialists by discussing complex coding cases, answering questions, providing education and interfacing with leadership.
Develop, monitors and controls staff coverage strategies to maintain consistent productivity flow. Supervises business unit human resources by determining qualifications, competence and performance expectations; providing orientation; applying policies/procedures pertaining to human resources management.
Continually assess and improve the business unit?s performance through data analysis and implementing sustainable performance improvement. Supports PFS RCS requests related to coding reviews. Supports RHIMD?s and clientele with national coding coverage. Onboard, orientation and training of new hires.
Performs coding quality reviews in accordance with applicable monitoring policies. Coordinates feedback with appropriate parties.
Assists in review for any patient audit presented from company for coding / editing from NCC staff. Organizes and reviews charts for the coding audits and prepares action plans in response to audit findings. Coordinates and utilizes the SMART system as a tracking tool for monitoring coding errors. Tracks required educational updates and in-services. Goal: Average coding quality standard of =/>95% accuracy per monitoring period.
DNFB, DNFC, DNFE, Management:
Meets and/or exceeds coding productivity guidelines. Consistent monitoring of DNFC accounts to develop strategies to minimize un-coded accounts greater than bill hold period (4).
Researches and monitors healthcare regulatory standards. Attends and participates in meetings and is responsible for coding related information communicated at meetings and between hospital clinical personnel.
Attends relevant coding workshops to stay abreast of new and changing technologies. Stays current with AHA Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines, CMS and other agency directives for ICD-9-CM and CPT coding.
Attends mandatory coding seminars on annual basis (IPPS and OPPS, ICD-9-CM and CPT updates) for inpatient and outpatient coding. Quarterly review of AHA Coding Clinic. Attends Quarterly Coding Updates and all coding conference calls.
CDI: Communicates documentation improvement opportunities and coding issues (lacking documentation, physician queries, etc.) to appropriate personnel for follow-up and resolution
This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with guidelines, policies and procedures and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
No. Direct Reports (incl. titles) Spec, NCC Coding I, II, III
No. Indirect Reports (incl. titles) N/A
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, problem solving abilities; good knowledge of medical records systems.
- Ability to build and maintain team dynamics
- Strong computer applications knowledge including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be fluent in general information technologies; significant level of autonomy; must be self-directed.
- Serve as a resource to PFS and other departmental contacts
- Implement policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of the services
- Advanced knowledge of ICD-9-CM and CPT coding principles and rules
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of disease pathophysiology and drug utilization
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MSDRG classification and reimbursement structures
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of APC, OCE, NCCI classification and reimbursement structures
- Coding proficiency demonstrated by successful completion of approved coding exercise
- Complies with all policies and procedures that pertain to HIPAA including minimum necessary requirements for this position. Must maintain 100% patient confidentiality for e-PHI during the course of work functions.
- Excellent organizational skills for initiation and maintenance of efficient work flow
- Regular and reliable attendance and time reporting per Telecommuting program requirements
- Capacity to work independently in a virtual office setting or at hospital setting if required to travel for assignment.
- Good visual acuity
- Able to operate computer keyboard, mouse and other peripherals as appropriate to accomplish coding & abstracting duties.
- Responds to inquiries from PFS on patient claims resolution.
- Participates in meetings with CDIP and coding team.
- Provides or arranges for training of NCC coding specialists as appropriate.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical coding set forth by AHIMA and monitors coding staff for violations and reports as areas of concern are identified.
- Maintains knowledge of current professional coding certification requirements and promotes recruitment and retention of certified staff in coding positions.
- Develops reports and collects and prepares data for studies involving cases for clinical evaluation purposes and financial impact and profitability.
- Keeps abreast of new technology in coding and abstracting software and other forms of automation and stays informed about transaction code sets, HIPAA requirements and other future issues impacting the coding function.
- Demonstrates competency in the use of computer applications and grouper software, medical edits, and all coding and abstracting software and hardware.
- The supervisor should demonstrate initiative and discipline in time management and assignment completion.
- The supervisor must be able to work in a virtual setting under minimal supervision.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Include minimum education, technical training, and/or experience required to perform the job.
- Five (5) years in relevant working field with one (1) year of supervisory experience acceptable.
- Prefer five (5) years experience in a supervisory role in healthcare with extensive knowledge of ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS and documentation guidelines.
- Bachelor/Associatedegree in Health Information Management and accredited by AHIMA
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Required: RHIA or RHIT AND CCS credential
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to efficiently use computer keyboard and mouse to perform coding assignments
- Occasional standing/walking, reaching, stooping, bending
- Manual dexterity and mobility
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works in private office space in the coder?s home per the PFS Telecommuter Policy as defined in the Telecommuting Program Guide
- Must meet the requirements of the Telecommuting Program Guide and the Remote Coder Policy
- The ideal candidate will have coding management experience in an acute care facility.
Security Clearance Required: No
Visa Candidate Considered: No
Competitive Base Salary
Full-time Benefits - Full
Relocation Assistance Available - No
Commission Compensation - No
Bonus Eligible - No
Overtime Eligible - No
Interview Travel Reimbursed - No
2+ to 5 years experience
Seniority Level - Mid-Senior
Management ExperienceRequired - No
Minimum Education - Associate's Degree
Willingness to Travel - Never