5 - 7 years experience • IT Consulting/Services
Position: COBOL DB2Developer
Location: Charlotte NC
Type of Hire: Contract
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides intermediate level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of data services for Web-based systems.
· Integrates third party products as needed.
· Thoroughly understands and applies Vanguard’s IT Navigator development methodology.
· Thoroughly understands and applies Vanguard’s Architecture standards, including all Information Security policies and procedures.
· Verifies all deliverables meet Methodology and Information Security requirements.
· Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects (for internal or external clients).
· Develops code that reuses subroutines or objects, is well structured, includes sufficient comments, and is easy to maintain.
· Writes programs, ad hoc queries, and reports.
· Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support when needed.
· Submits change control requests and documents.
· Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues and ensure methodology compliance.
· Participates in systems analysis activities, including system requirements analysis and definition, e.g. prototyping, and logical and physical design.
· Participates in other meetings, such as those for use case creation and analysis.
· Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables.
· Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables, e.g., systems testers, test plans. On small teams, the developer may write these items.
· Performs unit testing and writes appropriate unit test plans to ensure requirements are satisfied.
· Assists in integration, systems, acceptance, and other related testing as needed.
· Develops understanding of client business functions and technology needs.
· Develops understanding of Vanguard's tools, technologies, and applications/databases, including those that interface with business area and systems.
· Complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones.
· Complies with Retail Systems policies and procedures including attendance and weekly time and status reporting.
· Understands and adheres to Vanguard’s Diversity mission and policies.
· Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
· Demonstrated track record of strong database analysis, data access design and implementation capabilities
· Demonstrated proficiency in COBOL and DB2 including:
o Structured Query language (SQL).
o Embedded SQL.
o Stored Procedure development.
o DB2 Batch Programming (Large/Small).
o Proficiency with Easytrieve.
o Intermediate to advanced understanding and knowledge of DB2 relational database and its constructs including creating and using a Physical Model
o Working knowledge of DB2associated tools:
o Performance tuning.
o Knowledge and experience with MQ Series.
· Five years developer or systems analyst experience.
· Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
· Strong planning and organizational skills.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Strong mainframe/host development skills.