Why join us:With PPG, you will find meaning in your work every day, and engage in opportunities that will shape you, personally and professionally.
- Your personal strengths will empower you to succeed and make an impact from day one.
- You will be inspired to learn and grow, and to get the support you need to identify and achieve your boldest career aspirations.
- Your passion to excel will be fueled by your connection to world-class partners, industry experts, the best and brightest colleagues, and future forward technologies.
- Your contributions will not only meet the challenges of our global customers, but help theme propel their industries forward.
- You will be welcomed into a culture where everyone’s ideas and contributions are valued and encouraged.
Just like you, we are driven to make a difference in our world. Key Responsibilities
The Technical Manager reports to the Regional Technical Director and has the responsibility to manage one or more regional technical labs. This role leads across a specific technology area: GI Liquid, Coil, Building Products, Powder or Substrate Protection. The respective regional technical labs reporting to the Technical Manager are mainly responsible for maintaining existing business/customer base and for new business growth through regular interactions with commercial, TSR, manufacturing, central research lab and centers of excellence, and they are accountable for executing the growth pipeline, troubleshooting customer and internal issues, color development, formula cost and complexity reductions, optimizing technologies for new customers, working with the centers of excellence on commercializing new technologies/platforms, customer testing, application screening and optimizations, reinforcing a strong culture of safety. The challenges of this role are to drive change, constantly adapt as the customer needs change and rapidly interpret, evaluate new information and promptly provide resolutions with the highest sense of urgency on all local and on-line issues, in a dynamic and high pressure environment with competing priorities, which would ultimately satisfy the customer needs and drive growth. Strong collaborative profile is needed.
The following is critical to the success of this role:
- Demonstrating advanced technical and leadership capability, strong problem solving skills and resource management skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrating strong hands-on leadership skills to attract and retain top talent and to manage talent and performance
- Strong relationship building skills to work externally with suppliers/partners/customers as well as internally with the research and development labs, cross-functionally, and across businesses
- Demonstrating ability to interact with different groups and create strong network relationships to succeeded in achieving goals.
Key activities for this functional role include prioritizing all technical projects and resources based on new business opportunities, integrating input from various sources on problem resolution and finding technical solutions for new business opportunities, adapting the technical organization and capabilities accordingly, and execution of existing commercial pipeline of projects.
Significant accomplishments within the first 12-18 months include:
- Lead organizational change to improve the growth pipeline execution. Within the first 30 days, s/he will have a clear understanding of our organization structure, processes and pipeline growth mechanism. Within 90 days, s/he will complete a detailed assessment of the respective technical organization (people, equipment) and its mode of operation. During this time, s/he will also build strong relationships within the business and in other functional areas and s/he will establish strong communication and accountability between the respective regional lab(s) and all other functions. Within 12 months s/he will develop an aggressive plan to improve the growth pipeline execution, make sure the key metrics and deliverables will be easily tracked and monitored, drive and manage change, and defend change throughout implementation.
- Drive a culture of zero lost customers due to product issues. Within the first 12 months and thereafter, there has to be a strong and immediate focus on any jeopardy accounts. Providing promptly resolutions with the highest sense of urgency on all jeopardy accounts and the ability to problem solve and adapt constantly will be integral to this. Success in this objective is defined by having zero lost customers due to product issues.
- Drive innovation and organic growth. Within the first 12 months understand the innovation pipeline, all new product development projects and work in synergy with product management, the central research lab and centers of excellence to drive smart, fast and flawlessly the commercialization of all new identified platforms. Success in this objective will be defined by the launch success rate and by the amount of incremental new sales growth obtained.
- Drive culture focused on talent, engagement, and results. Assess and develop a thorough understanding of the talent within his/her team, including future leadership capabilities. S/he will identify the gaps in the existing talent (if applicable), and work to fill existing vacancies with a focus on building future leaders and hiring for potential. S/he will hold team accountable to deliver the growth pipeline and maintain the customer base, while keeping team motivated, driven, and time bound, and while managing risk. S/he will work with the human resources organization to ensure programs are in place to attract, develop, and promote a diverse pipeline of technical talent. Within 12-18 months, s/he will develop the succession plans for the organization, and work to fill any existing openings. A strong leader in this role will drive engagement, and provide vision and direction through inspirational leadership. Long term success in this role will be measured by the organic growth, zero lost customers due to product issues, and successful product launches that the team drives for the business.
- A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate technical discipline is required (i.e. Chemistry, Material Science, or Chemical Engineering )
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a leadership role with a proven track record of authentic and inspirational leadership, cross-functional collaboration, customer intimacy, and organic growth
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a technology area as specified in the search (GI Liquid, Coil, Building Products, Powder or Substrate Protection)
- Thorough understanding of specific coatings chemistry as specified in the search (customer specifications and requirements, and environmental regulations)
- Experience operating cross-functions and cross-businesses
- Agility to advance quickly projects to closure
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and problem solving skills
- Focus on team building, along with a regional mindset
- Appropriate business acumen
- Outstanding communication skills demonstrated by deep customer knowledge of customers and inspirational leadership with employees
- Ability to work externally with key customers, suppliers, business partners, alliances, and key internal stakeholders
- Ability to attract, develop and retain technical talent
- Learning agility and strong professional curiosity
- Strong safety culture awareness
- Willingness to travel up to 20%