Develop machining processes and programs for the manufacturing of products in multiple-axis machining centers. Take the lead role in process improvement and cost reductions through productivity improvement and machine time reductions, including tool and new product program testing. Aid in data management of the FACTORY NET system. Provide input into the purchase of new CNC equipment. Responsible for the CAD system that generates computer models of the parts.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop machining processes and programs for the manufacturing of products in multiple-axis machining centers interfacing with tool engineers, manufacturing engineers, development engineers, quality engineers and production personnel.
- Analyze part drawings, sketches, and design data to determine dimension and configuration of cuts, selecting cutting tools, and machine speeds and feeds, according to knowledge of machine shop processes. Perform debugging and testing of CNC programs in the machining centers.
- Develop and maintain CNC programs of multiple-axis machining centers using an advanced three-dimensional programming CAD system.
- Prepare, store and maintain program files in the FACTORY NET database system.
- Write instructions sheets and tool list to guide set-up and operation of the machining centers.
- Provide input on the purchase of all CNC related machine tools and programming equipment, to include information on controls, FACTORY NET linking, and aid in any testing required in the purchase of new CNC equipment.
- Assist in the training of production operators on the use of new CNC machine control and tools.
- Support the departmental FACTORY NET system database maintenance.
- Perform cutting tools evaluations, cost analysis and new technology implementation.
- Maintain status reports on program availability on a timely basis.
Expected Areas of Competence
- Experience in lathe and mill CNC controls, including multiple-axis machining centers required.
- Working knowledge online project management systems preferred.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices and ISO standards preferred.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Must be team and customer focused with good interpersonal skills.
- Associates Degree in related field and 1-3 years related experience preferred.
- Or 3-5 years experience with related training/certification (e.g., Tool & Die, Machinist or NIMS certification).