Cloud Systems Engineer
Less than 5 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
In this position, you will also…
• Provision datacenters, servers, virtual machines, storage and networking equipment supporting product delivery to customers.
• Ensure the availability and efficiency of ProQuest’s Unix/Linux infrastructure.
• Perform infrastructure maintenance tasks such as replacing hard drives, power supplies, adjusting networking configurations and managing VM capacity.
• Configure and deploy applications.
• Perform initial analysis of errors and performance issues.
• Monitor the infrastructure to ensure uptime and performance.
• Ensure the security of systems and software by following industry best practices.
• Work with configuration management tools to automate infrastructure deployment and maintenance.
• Work with stakeholders to plan and execute complex technical projects, such as software updates, deployments, and infrastructure maintenance.
• Execute server hardware and windows operating system configuration changes in support of complex and routine projects.
• Engage in a wide variety of second level systems troubleshooting tasks including infrastructure hardware, software, and security issues via the company trouble ticketing system and escalation process.
• Support technology and software development teams and end users with server related questions and issues.
• Integrate new standards, specifications, and technologies into existing processes and methodologies.
• Maintain and advance technical and non-technical skills.
• Leverage in-house and outside resources for training and share knowledge acquired with the team.
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field, plus 3 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education/certification and experience.
• 1 or more years of experience supporting Unix/Linux Systems.
• Experience working in datacenter facilities, such as server installation, cabling, and troubleshooting.
• Working knowledge of ITIL procedures, capacity management, change management.
• Demonstrated knowledge of all of the following: Virtualization, Public Cloud, TCP/IP, NFS, SAN Storage, troubleshooting multi-tiered client server systems (preferably centric around Xen, KVM, VMware, HP Proliant and Cisco UCS servers).
• Proven experience managing a JVM based application stack. Understanding of Java memory management, Jetty/Tomcat configuration, and monitoring.
• Deep knowledge of datacenter-grade hardware – such as servers, SAN/NAS storage, and networking components. Extensive experience with troubleshooting issues and physical replacement of components.
• Deep understanding of networked storage. Ability to configure NetApp, Nimble, and EMC devices. Ability to work with iSCSI and NFS mounts.
• Deep understanding of TCP/IP networking and the ability to configure Juniper/Cisco devices.
• Understanding of DNS concepts and ability to configure bind DNS zones.
• Experience with Xen and KVM virtualization technologies.
• Experience with managing AWS services. Specifically, EC2, S3, RDS, ElasticSearch, CloudFormation, VPC, ELB, and RedShift.
• Proficiency in reading and writing basic automation scripts in Bash, Python, Perl, and Ruby.
• Familiarity with configuration management systems such as Puppet and Chef.
• Experience with using and configuring monitoring tools such as Nagios and Kibana.
• Experience managing database systems such as MySQL and MongoDB. Including ability to write MySQL queries, diagnosing performance issues, and configuring replication.
• Ability to use Internet resources and documentation to quickly gain proficiency with unfamiliar technologies.
• Ability to independently plan and execute technical projects involving stakeholders across and outside the organization.
• Experience working with 3rd party vendors and contractors.
• Excellent communication skills via email, chat, and phone.