KBR has an immediate need for an energetic and dynamic Cloud Software Engineer at its Sioux Falls, SD location. KBR, headquartered in Houston Texas, is the primary contractor to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) for performing work at the Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center near Sioux Falls, SD.
If you possess a Software Engineering background and discipline, we encourage you to join our talented, multidisciplinary team. In this entry to mid-level position, you will contribute and be responsible for developing and maintaining cutting edge, front end and back end systems, user interfaces and applications used for the management of, visualization of, and distribution of remotely sensed satellite and airborne imagery. Although your primary responsibility will be NodeJS application development, you should also expect to be exposed to many other technologies and languages while following Secure Software Development Lifecycle (S-SDLC) and standard code repository practices.
As a full-time strategic member of our Software Engineering team, you will enjoy a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k, life insurance, generous leave plan, as well as several other benefits and will be given the opportunity to enhance your skills with progressively challenging assignments. The work is exciting and makes a difference to the world.
In your Software Engineering role, you will:
- Design and build applications and services using modern software development practices and tools.
- Learn and use technologies such as NodeJS, Python, GDAL, Web Mapping Services, Continuous Integration/Development tools and more.
- Build, implement and Maintain AWS cloud architectures using AWS best practices, including AWS databases (RDS, Aurora and PostgreSQL).
- Implement new and innovative solutions using cutting-edge technology.
- Submit, analyze, and execute assigned configuration change requests in accordance with established Configuration Management (CM) processes.
- Use software design and maintenance techniques that address lifecycle security concepts.
- Use Git code repositories for all development activities.
- Document preliminary and detailed designs of modules and components that make up a software product.
- Participate in peer reviews, generate test plans, procedures, and provide content to reports.
- Support system anomaly analysis, investigation and troubleshooting activities.
- Communicate with and provide technical status reports on assigned activities to the Software Engineering Lead, Systems Engineer, and other Project Team members, as appropriate.
- Support special projects, tasks, and or initiatives as assigned.
Our ideal candidate:
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information System, or other related field
- Interested in working in Unix/Linux environments.
- Will have excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Possesses the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Can adapt well to change in direction and priorities in a project and deadline-oriented environment.
- Has development experience or training with relational databases such as Postgres, Oracle or Mysql.
- Has development experience or training with some of the following languages: NodeJS, Python, Cloudformation Templates, Terraform, or bash scripting language.
- Is interested in learning GIS concepts and technologies to support the display and interaction with geospatial data within web-based applications; such as Google Maps API, Leaflet Maps API, KML and ESRI Shapefiles.
- Has development experience or training with NetBeans, Eclipse, Visual Studio, or other integrated development environments (IDE).
- Possesses knowledge or understanding of software development management tools such as JIRA, Confluence, GIT, and or Jenkins.
- Has working experience with using office automation tools such as MS Office Suite.
- Is familiar with or have working knowledge of AWS cloud reference architectures and AWS best practices, including AWS databases (RDS, Aurora and PostgreSQL).
The candidate must have prior 3 years U.S. residency