Cloud Operations Architect
2nd Watch is looking for a savvy technical architect to join our Cloud Operations team focusing on building and evolving client workloads and infrastructure in the public cloud. You will consult with the client on proactive engineering tasks as well as with internal stakeholders, helping to build and architect new solutions, document client environment details, provide workload-specific documentation and offer on-call operational guidance. This is a pro-active role with a client focus and assignment. You will be responsible for identifying and negotiating cloud infrastructure improvements, defining requirements, implementation and testing, and training and hand-off. You will also be responsible for executing cost optimization processes.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Professional technical interactions with clients on a regular cadence.
- Improve existing client cloud infrastructure towards well-architected frameworks with an enterprise focus.
- Remediate existing architectural defects that lead to Operations support tickets and inefficiencies.
- Improve impedance match between client infrastructure and 2W Managed Cloud Operations services
- Support customers internationally, 24x7. On-call requirements are a function of workload documentation completeness and resiliency.
- Documentation of client infrastructure to simplify Operations management of workloads.
- Support escalations, ticket retrospectives and remediation, and training/certification of Operations engineers
- Consult internally periodically on the design and operationalization of new 2W products and services.
What You Need for this Position:
A strong sense of ownership, initiatives, and ability to accept and mitigate risk.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a wide range of audiences including business and technical stakeholders.
Expert knowledge/experience in:
- Public Clouds and cloud technologies such as Amazon AWS
- Multi-platform experience with both Windows & Linux
- Web Services & APIs
- Design, development, implementation, and operational support of mission critical solutions in large scale environments.
- Load balancing
- Solid understanding of technologies including:
- Networking – TCP/IP, VPN, Layer 3 Routing
- Applications/Platforms – Understanding of common application stacks (Tomcat, LAMP)
- Configuration Management – Chef, Ansible, or Puppet – Familiarity with at least one
- Virtualization – Vmware, Xen, and/or VirtualBox/Vagrant. AWS experience a must.
- Databases – Familiarity with common database platforms: MySQL and/or PostgreSQL - Aurora, Microsoft SQL, or Oracle is a plus
- DNS and other common network protocols
- Version Control Systems: BitBucket/git, github, or equivalent
- Continuous Integration/Deployment - Experience with Jenkins/CodeBuild a plus
- Business Productivity Tools: O365, Confluence, JIRA, Slack
- Software Experience: Alert Logic, New Relic, Trend Micro are a plus
Nice to have: Experience with Terraform and CloudFormation
- 10 or more years of professional IT experience in large scale environments with hands on experience in multiple technologies wearing multiple hats
- At least 2-4 years of relevant experience as an Architect, preferably focused on cloud technologies
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical area or the equivalent experience.
- AWS Solutions Architect Associate certification or higher level certification