The Infrastructure team
The infrastructure team builds strong technical foundations for Petal’s success. The tools used by the Infrastructure team are at the forefront of industry practices and community driven technology. We’re passionate about scalability, reliability, and simplicity, but most of all we’re interested in the empowerment of the company as a whole.
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineer role
Infrastructure engineers will be the glue that binds our engineering teams together. We foster an environment where engineers can reach out for any question, not just related to infrastructure. This role is best for curious, generalist programmers with interests in cloud infrastructure, security, and applying software engineering principles to make their and everyone else’s lives easier.
- Manage the overall health and performance of Petal’s underlying infrastructure.
- Optimize the entire lifecycle of services - deployment, scaling, monitoring, and optimization.
- Identify and remediate infrastructure-specific vulnerabilities.
- Gain deep application-level knowledge of our systems and contribute to their overall design.
- Work across engineering teams to enhance, document, and establish processes and generally improve the operability and security of our systems.
- Improve automation of operational processes (provisioning, replication, deployments, continuous integration).
Characteristics of a successful candidate:
- Experience with container orchestration tooling such as Kubernetes. Bonus points for having deployed and maintained user-facing services on Kubernetes in production.
- Familiarity with open source. We use, learn from, and contribute to open source products. Familiarity with concepts and principles that are popular throughout open source is a useful skill.
- Capable programmer. Infrastructure remains nimble (and sane) by putting automation and software at the forefront of everything we do. Our main tools include the ability to think and act from a programmatic mindset and to recognize the need to automate.
- Strong Linux and Networking knowledge. We rely on cloud native platforms, but still need to be deeply familiar with how underlying systems work when things go awry.
- Knowledge of web design architecture and scalability. With Petal’s rapid expansion, we need experience in designing, building, and maintaining reliable and scalable web services.
- Sharp and critical eye for details. The ability to think holistically and also maintain focus on small intricate details is essential for the high-impact, production work infrastructure does.
- Problem-solving versatility and resourcefulness. There will be many new and unexpected problems, and we need someone who can do the required research/networking to propose well thought-out solutions.
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal, written, and visual. We believe in excellent documentation, give frequent internal presentations, and help guide the organization on DevOps/SRE best practices.
- Knowledge of security. One of the most challenging aspects of designing and building services is doing so securely. We prioritize security based on risk and work to provide tools and platforms that are secure by default.
- Welcoming and approachable. We answer questions about our tooling with kindness and compassion. We help others understand the work we do and how they can benefit from using it.
- Big on data. We collect, generate, and analyze data to inform our decisions, including monitoring, observability, and alerting for service reliability and security.