We are a team working with a goal to automate the mundane work so we can focus on new skills to help all of the teams at KAGR grow by adopting new technology and processes. We provide troubleshooting support for various web applications in use by KAGRs customers, as well as supporting data engineering and data science teams though their use of existing tools while helping them identify when new tools may be a better fit for their use case. We use AWS, but think thats the easy part compared to understanding how applications work, how bits and bytes get from server A to server B. We value understanding the manual process, and think thats a vital step to automating it.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and manage users in a Linux environment, understanding group and permission management
- Install common applications and server components such as NGINX and PostgreSQL
- Deploy web applications with NGNIX and connect to PostgreSQL
- Manage users, groups, and permissions in Linux, PostgreSQL, and being able to understand 3rd party permissions by relating them to your understanding of common security models
- Use error messages and logs to determine how to fix problems
- Install 3rd party applications by reviewing vendor documentation, able to interpret and make decisions using an understand of similar technology
- Work with teams to improve the reliability and operations of applications
- Monitor systems, and applications to proactively identify system disruptions and preempt outages.
- Improve monitoring infrastructure, build out data aggregation and alerting rules
- Triage tickets raised by our support organization and implement fixes.
- Partner with delivery teams on change management to more effectively manage our environments.
- Leverage automation to improve deployments and updates, speed up problem detection/resolution, and ensure safe and quick rollback when problems occur.
- Additional projects and assignments as directed
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 4-6 years systems administration experience (public cloud experience, AWS preferred)
- Experience doing the must haves in a cloud environment (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.)
- Experience with cloud native tools and services
- Understanding of network concepts such as routing, load balancing, DNS etc.
- Experience using automation
- Bonus if tools like Ansible or Puppet have caught your eye, or if you have containerized things)
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools such as Nagios or Datadog, ELK stack
- Outstanding organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Preferably, experience migrating from Windows to Linux
- Ability to teach Windows admins how to perform in a Linux environment
- Basic understanding of data platforms, data warehouses, and data pipelines/ETL
- Strong affinity and experience in working with continuous deployment and continuous integration environments
- Strong communication skills
- Passion for learning new technologies, and crafting processes to use them to help improve the use and availability of those technologies
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Fast paced office environment