Together we are powering the future of Higher Education
Here at Ellucian, we are motivated by a mission ~ the power of education to transform lives and change the world. We are the global market leader in EdTech for Higher Education, serving more than 2,700 customers and reaching over 20 million students in 50+ countries. We are dedicated to helping Higher Ed thrive by transforming their institutions to agile, digitally connected campuses that enable student success.
About the opportunity
Cloud Engineers are IT professionals who collaborate with software developers, system operators and other IT staff members to manage a large cloud environment. They cross and merge the barriers that exist between software development, testing and operations teams and keep existing networks in mind as they design, plan and execute.
The Cloud Engineer (Linux System Administrator) role is responsible for multitasking and dealing with multiple urgent situations at a time; Cloud Engineers must be extremely flexible.
Technical Leads often participate in the processes of strategic project-planning meetings. In addition to providing their guidance and expertise on system options, risk, impact and costs vs. benefits, they create and share their operational requirements and development forecasts to allow for timely and accurate planning of projects.
Responsible for developing and building IT solutions, Technical Leads install and configure solutions, implement reusable components, translate technical requirements, assist with all stages of the application life cycle and perform script maintenance and updates.
Technical Leads build automated deployments using configuration management technology. They deploy new modules and upgrades and complete fixes within the production environment.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting
Routine application maintenance tasks are an ongoing responsibility of Technical Leads that they accomplish via strategy-building techniques. They also help create requirements and procedures for implementing routine maintenance. Troubleshooting existing information systems for errors and resolving those errors is also a main responsibility of Technical Leads.
Not only do Technical Leads evaluate existing applications and platforms, they also give recommendations for enhancing performance via gap analysis, identifying the most practical alternative solutions and assisting with modifications.
Where you will make an impact
- Collaboration with the Cloud Assurance Manager (CAM) for assigned customers to ensure technical projects are planned and researched appropriately.
- Participate in internal technical planning calls for maintenance / upgrades of the customer environment.
- Participate in select customer meetings to discuss pre-requisites, technical procedure where relevant and exploratory items that may apply to integrations or 3rd party applications.
- Work with Manager, Application Services for assigned region to ensure technical delivery teams have appropriate documentation for successful execution.
- Complete complex technical tasks for assigned customers as needed to support creation of new procedure documents and successful execution in customer environments.
- Addresses technical challenges with the Application Administrators. Escalates issues that cannot be overcome to the technical manager.
- Mentors other technical team members to help improve the overall technical knowledge of the team.
- Conduct knowledge sharing sessions on areas of expertise to help cross-training efforts.
- Effectively manage and complete projects as necessary while lending support to other teams.
- Building and maintaining tools, solutions and microservices associated with deployment and our operations platform, ensuring that all meet our customer service standards and reduce errors.
- Actively troubleshoot any issues that arise during testing and production, catching and solving issues before they impact customers.
- Test our system integrity, implemented designs, application developments and other processes related to infrastructure, making improvements as needed.
- Update our processes and design new processes as needed.
- Deploy product updates as required while implementing integrations when they arise.
- Automate our operational processes as needed, with accuracy and in compliance with our security requirements.
- Specifying, documenting and developing new product features, and writing automating scripts.
- Adhere to established best practices and toolsets
- Manage deployments, fixes, updates and related processes.
- Work with open-source technologies as needed.
- Work with CI and CD tools, and source control such as GIT and Jenkins.
- Offer technical support where needed
- Stay current with industry trends and source new ways for our business to improve.
- Deliver support and automation in such a way as to focus on contractual SLAs and internal SLOs; delivering high uptime for our customers.
- Execute operational and maintenance activities in 24x7 Cloud environment leveraging automation on a large number of systems.
- Follow change management standards
- Rapidly troubleshoot incidents:
- By leveraging service restorative actions
- By understanding what causes most issues and the actions to mitigate those on your assigned technology stack
- By understanding what actions will systematically eliminate the causes of common issues
- Without doing more harm to currently impacted systems
- Cover assigned rotation as an on-call resource
What you will bring
- Possesses the tenacity to delve to the root of the issue quickly, understand why it happened, and prevent it in the future.
- Proven experience collaborating with cross functional global and remote teams with diverse backgrounds.
- Strong verbal and written skills, excellent customer service, as well as high attention to detail.
- B.S (Computer Science/Engineering) or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in multi-region, multi-tenant SaaS or PaaS environment.
- 3+ years of experience with AWS platform.
- 3+ years of experience with enterprise scale Linux administration.
- 3+ years of experience in web-based application deployment and administration using Apache, Tomcat, IIS, or Nginx.
- 3+ years of experience in developing and deploying automation and scripting using multiple tools
- Preferred: Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins, Docker, Python, Bash, PowerShell for a large production environment with 1,000+ servers
- Experience working with CI/CD tooling preferred
- Time and project management skills, with the capability to prioritize and multitask as needed.
- Solid team player.
- Cloud Certifications:
- AWS Certified Developer, AWS Certified SysOps Administrator, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, or AWS Certified Solutions Architect
- Equivalent Azure or GCP certification
- Docker Certified Associate
- Kubernetes Certified Developer