The Cloud Engineer serves as an Infrastructure and Cloud Engineer within the Technology Operations team. This role possesses a mix of networking, security, scripting, and system administration skills, as the Cloud Engineer is required to provide developer support, application systems administration, production support, and many other tasks. The Cloud Engineer works closely with developers, facilitating the development process by removing obstacles interfering with development, and by designing and implementing appropriate infrastructure solutions.
Primary Job Duties:
- Deploy, maintain, support and troubleshoot resources in a cloud environment.
- Evaluate, test, deploy and maintain both custom developed and third party software upgrades
- Maintain SDLC systems such as test environments, source control and automated build/test/deploy systems
- Implement release pipelines and infrastructure as code
- Maintain production services to our SLAs
- Take ownership of production issues, working closely with the development and customer success teams on issue resolution
- Provide developer support on an ongoing basis, frequently collaborating with development teams
- Provide 24×7 production support as part of a team rotation, resolving or escalating issues as appropriate
- Support releases on a regularly scheduled basis, as well as emergency releases as needed
- Deploy application and data changes to stage and production environments as needed
- Proficient in troubleshooting and resolving production issues
- Design and implement new environments, services, infrastructure, and application architecture modifications
- Research, evaluate and implement operational improvements, application packages and architectural modifications
- Participate in change control, release planning, and other operational planning
- Remain current on industry leading solutions for public cloud hosting (primary focus on Azure), including deployment, scaling, monitoring, data storage and cost management.
- Remain current on industry leading solutions and best practices for infrastructure and application security tools and technology
Required Skill Set:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- 2+ years production application support experience in a high uptime environment
- 2+ years server administration experience including diagnosis of performance issues, package management, load estimation, networking configuration for both a Windows and Linux server environment.
- 2+ years hosting experience in a large heavy-traffic environment
- Experience with SQL Server management including scripting ability
- Experience with Kubernetes strongly desired
- Hands-on cloud experience (Azure, Amazon Web Services or Google). Azure is strongly preferred
- Understanding of networking principles, esp. TCP/IP
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytic skills
- Ability to work as a team or independently as required
- Excellent communications skills