Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
As a Cloud Database Engineer, you will help us scale the technology as our business continues to grow. You will help to innovate on various aspects of the platform used by our engineering organization to deliver high quality, highly scalable, and highly secure products to our customers
As a Cloud Database Engineer, you would help:
- Build and drive the technical vision for database design, administration, maintenance, migration of the MySQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB databases used across Marqeta.
- Design the high availability database architecture, and implementation efforts for migrating databases to AWS Cloud infrastructure.
- Design platform architecture, security model, backup and recovery strategy, disaster planning and solutions and overall documentation and periodic review of database standards, procedures and metadata.
- Define automation goals of the DBA organization. Review of the repeatable mundane activities which the team performs on a periodic basis. Identify low hanging fruit and provide the strategy or tools that would meet the automation needs.
- Keep automation as the primary focus and ensure the design is tightly coupled with various automations to reduce the manual work.
- Provide guidance on capacity needs including but not limited to Storage, CPU and memory forecasting, automation solution, disaster recovery and planning solutions.
- Lead the root cause analysis, remediation and document efforts to effectively minimize P1 incidents.
- Strong experience in Cloud infrastructure. We use AWS but welcome experience in other Cloud environments.
- Expert database administrator supporting complex legacy, vendor-based OLTP databases & modern database platforms including open source and cloud.
- We use MySQL, PostGreSQL, MongoDB but welcome experience in different RDBMS systems.
- Expert in automation and orchestration platforms (Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation, etc.). Hands on experience designing and developing infrastructure and Database automation.
- Strong communication skills, ability to work independently and effectively with clients and IT managers. Ability to self-drive initiatives for the database organization that spans across the enterprise.
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations.
Bonus points for
- AWS Certification(s)
- Any experience with scaling large, transactional systems and data shading would be welcome.
- Production Experience with modern engineering, monitoring and cloud tools
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.