BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for a Cloud Data Architect to join our growing team!
About Your Team
BlockFi’s Data Team deploys and operates our centralized data platform to manage the storage (S3 data lake), processing (Spark/Flink), and real time streaming infrastructure for the larger organization. Using infrastructure as code you will design, build, and deploy self-service patterns so that teams across the organization can easily build their own integrations with ease & confidence, knowing that the best patterns and security are built in from the start.
At BlockFi, we believe that exponential growth is the standard for future endeavors. We believe this architecture is one of the keys to developing that scalability and success. Join us as we help our clients build financial legacy using these amazing technologies!
- Build reusable components and infrastructure that make it simple for anyone asking data questions to get the answers they need
- Partner with other architects, infrastructure and software experts to define metadata layers, technical strategy and optimal integration within existing engineering landscape
- Design, build, and operate your platform components so that others can rely on your great ideas (common streaming architectures, data storage methods, proper processing environments)
- Write code that allows consumers of your components to implement infrastructure as code libraries (AWS CDK, Pulumi, etc) so that other teams can use them with ease
- Describe and document examples on how teams can perform different tasks that integrate with your infrastructure
- Construct your flows so that the absolute highest security standards are implemented from the start for your consumers
- Profile your work to maintain metrics on systems so that your documentation describes the limits and tradeoffs of each set of architectures
- Simplify and improve as you go
- 8+ years of experience with data architecture, data engineering, and cloud data technologies
- Strong knowledge of cloud databases, particularly PostgreSQL
- Strong ability to work closely with all business lines to identify business needs and analytics opportunities
- Experience leading data conversations and developing business concepts
- Strong programming skills in Python, Elixir or other high-level languages
- Experience with SQL adapters such as Ecto and managing SQL schema changes with code
- Experience with AWS cloud services: S3, EC2, RDS, Aurora, Redshift
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Kinesis, EventBridge, Confluent, Kafka or similar.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable big data data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- Weekly lunch stipend because there is such a thing as a free lunch!
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand