The Cloud Engineering group enables the consistent and efficient delivery of business-lead software development by driving best practices in the areas of cloud architecture, DevOps, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
As Cloud Architect you will be responsible for the Architecture and Design of Multi-Cloud solutions with an Azure emphasis. You will work with the Delivery Manager, Software Architects, Software Developers, and ALM Engineers to support the Cloud Architecture for a large distributed solution. You will ensure the overall Architecture is appropriate for the Cloud and become the trusted advisor of the software development team. You will ensure that Cloud Architecture allows for the DevOps methodology and best practices. You will ensure designs allow for the implementation of tools and processes which enable rapid development and delivery of software, continuous integration/deployment, automated quality checks, and operational metrics that can be consumed by development teams.
An ideal candidate for this role will have a blend of infrastructure, development and operational experience that provides them with a good understanding of the developers they are working with, while also balancing customer satisfaction and maintaining critical systems uptime.
In this role you will partner with your Cloud Engineering peers – Cloud Release Managers and Cloud Platform Engineers – to deliver a fully automated end-to-end release management process.
- Define the Cloud Architecture for both hybrid and non-hybrid cloud solution.
- Be the go to person for Cloud Architecture. You should have a deep understanding of IaaS and PaaS services offered on cloud platforms and understand how to use them together to build complex solutions.
- Ensure that all cloud solutions follow security and compliance controls.
- Participate in the establishment on an automated DevOps release management pipeline which delivers tooling for next generation application development efforts (the Dev) and on-going production operations (the Ops). Cultivate a Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery mind set.
- Ensure development teams are provided a full set of DevOps ALM tools by leading the establishment of the right tooling and processes that will result in a fully automated release management pipeline to include: the Automated build process, environment setups, testing scripts, deployments, and production operational metrics/debugging information (to target developers).
- Partner with development, infrastructure and support teams to develop practical automation solutions and custom modules. Troubleshoot automation issues and find practical solutions that move projects forward in a timely manner.
- Be a trusted automation and tooling advisor for DevOps initiatives by providing objective, practical and relevant ideas, insights and advice.
- Plan, organize, and control multiple responsibilities to achieve project objectives; technically guide projects through to completion. Ensure deliverables are completed within target timeframes and are consistently of high-quality.
- Ensure platform health by designing appropriate monitoring and alerting practices and levels.
- Develop continuous improvement processes to periodically review environment usage, scaling, security and compliance to identify potential optimizations and cost reductions.
- Work with teams to bring continuous improvement to ALM processes and tools. Develop and own KPIs to ensure performance is measured against expected business outcomes.
- 5 years of experience in the IT field
- 3-5 years of Release Management Coordination/Engineer experience managing builds through development, QA, UAT through to production.
- 2-3+ years experience with Azure, additional cloud experience preferred
- Understand how to automate builds for developer environments from development through production within a Continuous Delivery model.
- Experience of practical implementations of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery tools.
- Must understand the Scrum Agile methodology and have worked on a Scrum team
- Direct, hands-on experience with DevOps and release management tools
- Familiarity with Docker containers, working experience a plus
- Familiarity with MicroServices architecture, working experience a plus
- Experience with continuous integration tools, such as VSTS, Bamboo, Jenkins, Microsoft TFS, TeamCity, etc.
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- Experience with packaging programs like MSI, rpm, or other
- Knowledge of SQL, and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Knowledge of networking, firewalls, load balancers etc.
- Knowledge of best practices for IT operations in an always-on, always-available service model
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to communicate appropriately with corporate executives and technical teams
- Excellent influencing and reasoning skills; good at conflict resolution and consensus building
- Ability to travel ~10%
- After hours on-call support occasionally required.