The Clinical Pharmacist performs pharmacy activities and related services for home infusion therapy or alternate setting. Responsible for providing the necessary planning, organization, direction, coordination, and control as required for this role and within the pharmacy. Provides parenteral and enteral nutritional support and expertise to patients in collaboration with otherhealthcare professionals and is responsible for compliance and continuing educational knowledge related to the latest USP sterile compounding procedures and cleanroom maintenance. Also responsible for dispensing drugs as prescribed by physicians and providing information to patients about medical side effects and proper usage of medications. Responsible for understanding the composition of medications and the laws that regulate the manufacturing and sale of medications. Also responsible for ordering and storing medications, keeping them safe, pure, and effective and maintaining records of the drugs handled as required by law by performing the following duties
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- In collaboration with otherhealthcare professionals, provide patient care by participating in nutritional assessments including nutrient requirements and nutrient/drug interaction evaluations, educational needs and candidacy for nutritional support.
- Develop and implement nutrition care plans.
- Develop and modify feeding formulations
- Clinically monitor the patient receiving nutritional support therapy to maximize therapy and achieve optimal outcomes by evaluation of labs, clinical parameters, organ function, GI tract function, weight, growth and fluid balance.
- Management of cleanroom activities including maintenance of the facility as well as the equipment within the facility to maintain compliance with all State and Federal rules and regulations related to sterile compounding activities.
- Coordinates and facilitates new referrals
- Reviews and verifies all new patient orders and documents orders
- Conducts initial and ongoing assessments of specific patient, drug and disease information to identify real and potential drug related issues
- Monitors safety and efficacy of drug therapy
- Monitors outcome of drug therapy by collecting, evaluating and interpreting lab data, clinical and patient information
- Communicates and collaborates with physician, nurses, patients, families and other team members to provide quality care for the patient
- Maintains thorough and appropriate documentation in the patient record of all clinical activities and communication
- Supervises, coordinates and participates in the preparation of sterile admixtures, dispenses all pharmaceutical and related supplies and equipment in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
- Complies with the standards of practice which govern the profession of pharmacy
- Processes and checks all medications, supplies and equipment prior to dispensing from pharmacy
- Maintains pharmacy records in accordance with applicable laws and regulations
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. Minimum of one year, recent experience in a pharmacy setting required. Home infusion experiencepreferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Current licensure as a registered pharmacist in the state of employment.
- Pharmacist license in good standing
- Maintenance of continuing education credits
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of basic math while analyzing data and generating reports.
Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft products.
Information Security Expectations:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to abide by Diplomat’s information security policies, employee handbook and security and privacy regulatory requirements. Each employee is responsible for the secure and appropriate handling of Diplomat information, information received by customers, other companies and/or external parties.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- Ability to fill and check prescriptions
- Oral and written communication skills in order to effectively work with customers, employees, and supervisors
- Ability to work with lab equipment, computers, calculators, and cash registers
- Interpersonal skills to communication with patients and other health care professionals
- Ability to maintain constructive working relationships with patients, families, co-workers, community organizations, and physicians.
- Detail oriented
- Ability to multitask
- Phone etiquette
- Computer skills
- Exceptional reading skills
- Ability to give direction and delegate to Pharmacy Technicians
- Ability to work with different personalities and work as a team
- Organizational skills
- Prioritization skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- General knowledge of internet navigation and research, email, fax transmission, and copy equipment
- Time management
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; sit and use hands. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
Requisition Number 17-0468