PURPOSE OF POSITION: Performs a full range of services as assigned under the general supervision of the area Supervisor, Assistant Director, and Director of the section of Blood Bank Laboratory.
- Performs clinical testing in laboratory areas where he/she is fully trained and in compliance with Federal, NYSDOH, CAP and TJC standards.
- Accessions samples in the Hospital Blood Bank Computer.
- Issues blood and blood components .
- Processes patient specimens to include: ABO & Rh typing, antibody screening, antibody identification, testing for autoantibody , direct antiglobulin test, compatibility testing of patient samples and donor bloods.
- Processes neonatal samples and cord samples to include: ABO & Rh typing, direct antiglobulin test and elutions; performs the appropriate testing and provides compatible blood for exchange transfusion.
- Performs transfusion reaction workups.
- Performs daily Quality Control procedures which include monitoring of the satellite refrigerators, and maintaining inventory of blood and blood products.
- Performs other related tasks required by the supervisor.
- Complies with KCHC and department policies for Safety, Quality Improvement and Infection Control.
- Adheres to organization policy for annual education, assessment and in-service education.
- Understands the principles of and competently performs a variety of techniques in both manual and automated testing; follows KCHC laboratory established policy and procedure guidelines.
- Provides guidance and technical training to clinical laboratory technicians assigned at Levels I and II and technologists and other appropriate laboratory personnel; coordinates, reviews, and monitors their work; presents constructive feedback and suggestions on activities of subordinates to senior leadership.
- Analyzes all quality control materials and reviews data.
- Documents activities as necessary.
- Attends, participates, and evaluates continuing and in-service education programs.
- Is aware of, contributes to, and observes laboratory safety at all times.
- Prepares packages for shipment within the guidelines of KCHC laboratory established policy and procedure.
- Valid license as a clinical laboratory technologist issued by the NYSED; and
- Candidates must also meet one of the qualification requirements of a laboratory supervisor as outlined in Title 1 0, Section 58-1.4 of the New York Public HeaIth Law.
- Successful completion of a full course of study, which meets all academic requirements for a bachelor's degree in medical technology from an accredited institution; or
- Successful completion of a minimum of ninety (90) semester hours in an accredited institution and successful completion of a course of training of at least twelve (12) months in an accredited school of medical technology; or
- Successful completion at an accredited institution of a course of study which meets all academic requirements for a bachelor's degree in one (1) of the chemical, physical or biological sciences, and in addition, at least one (1) year of experience and/or relevant training; or
- Successful completion of ninety (90) semester hours towards a bachelor's degree in an accredited institution, including sixteen (16) semester hours in chemistry courses acceptable for a major in chemistry, six (6) of which are in inorganic chemistry; sixteen (16) hours in biology courses acceptable for a major in biology and pertinent to the medical sciences ; and three (3) semester hours in mathematics and, in addition, at least one (1) year of experience and/or training . The chemistry and biology courses shall include both laboratory and lecture; survey courses are not acceptable.