$80K — $100K *
Shift II: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Purpose of Position: Performs a full range of services as assigned under the general supervision of the area Supervisor, Assistant Director and Director of the section of Microbiology Laboratory.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs clinical testing in laboratory areas where he/she is fully trained and in compliance with Federal, NYSDOH, CAP and TJC standards.
• Complies with all laboratory procedures and obtains or receives laboratory specimens which include blood, urine and body fluids; performs clinical laboratory tests, and obtains data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
• Understands the principles of and competently performs a variety of techniques in both manual and automated testing; follows KCHC laboratory established policy and procedure guidelines.
• Works independently, organizing work to meet established deadlines; records and files all data obtained.
• Ascertains that specimens are acceptable and suitable for culture and susceptibility testing.
• Ensures that blood specimens received for enzyme immunoassay (EIA) and molecular testing are properly handled and are suitable for testing.
• Inoculates and streaks specimens received for culture in selective agar plates.
• Prepares, stains, and reads smears for bacterial and fungal observation.
• Loads and unloads blood culture bottles from analyzer.
• Processes positive blood culture bottles.
• Performs culture and susceptibility testing.
• Performs rapid testing, latex testing and EIA testing.
• Performs testing in the STD Lab to rule out sexually transmitted diseases in the clinic area.
• Performs proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
• Provides guidance and technical training to clinical laboratory technicians assigned at Levels I and II and technologists and other appropriate laboratory personnel; coordinates, reviews, and monitors their work; presents constructive feedback and suggestions on activities of subordinates to senior leadership.
• Follows KCHC safety protocol at all times.
• Demonstrates ability to follow standard and complex scientific laboratory methods and procedures.
• Participates in non-routine testing procedures in association with specialized research program(s); makes suggestions to minor modifications to procedures, techniques, and tests as appropriate and required.
• Enters clinical results from analyses of diagnostic tests and other data in the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
• Reports critical value results promptly and documents them immediately as per KCHC laboratory established guidelines.
Calibrations and Quality Controls / Quality Assurance
• Analyzes all quality control materials and reviews data.
• Complies with all quality control rules as per KCHC laboratory established guidelines.
• Takes corrective action when necessary.
• Documents activities as necessary.
• Enters and retrieves patient data accurately utilizing the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
• Performs preventive maintenance.
• Documents activities as required.
• Performs troubleshooting techniques for major instruments when applicable.
• Corrects problems or notifies the supervisor immediately.
• Documents all corrective action taken.
• Attends, participates, and evaluates continuing and in-service education programs.
• Is aware of, contributes to, and observes laboratory safety at all times.
• Maintains strict patient confidentiality (HIPAA) at all times.
• Participates in the development, evaluation, and implementation of new methods and equipment if requested.
• Demonstrates knowledge of clinical laboratory terminology.
• Demonstrates knowledge in area of specialty.
• Prepares packages for shipment within the guidelines of KCHC laboratory established policy and procedure.
• Completes all required documentation and reporting in accordance with departmental and other regulatory schedules.
1. Valid license as a clinical laboratory technologist issued by the NYSED; and
2. One year of full-time paid experience as a technologist performing pertinent tests and analyses in a clinical laboratory as defined in Title V, Section 57 1 of the New York State Public Health Law.
Valid through: 3/4/2021
$120K — $140K + $8K bonus
12 days ago