Stantec is seeking a Climate Risk Assessment Leader to champion the continuous growth of our climate risks, adaptation and resilience markets. As a senior practitioner, you will be an integral part of our team and will actively participate as an advisor and mentor with multi-disciplinary regional and national teams, leading projects to assess the impacts of climate change on the built environment and the risks on infrastructure, public services and ultimately the community.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Serve as a key member of the practice team to drive profitable growth of Stantec’s climate change risks’ services business across Canada, United States and globally.
- Initiate, participate in and manage projects to identify the nature of risks and severity of impacts to the built environment in a life cycle process that is included in asset management plans.
- Perform assessments of the vulnerabilities of various assets including infrastructure, facilities and buildings to climate change and detailed risk assessments through more detailed engineering analysis.
- Participate in capacity development and training for climate risks assessments to audiences of varied technical and non-technical background, and of various sizes from small groups of less than ten people to large audiences of more than 50 people.
- Make recommendations on risk mitigation and future climate adaptation measures, including adjustments for designs or operations.
- Work closely with climate scientists to interpret climate data and apply it to risks assessments of infrastructure, buildings or facilities.
- Contribute to growing new climate services annually. Identify and develop new opportunities, prepare effective technical and financial proposals, and take an active role in the development of new business with new and existing clients. Develop and expand client relationships that generate repeat business.
- Capitalize on existing client relationships to expand Stantec’s profile and market share in the Canadian and international climate risks and resiliency markets (through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development).
- Support the general growth and development of Stantec’s climate risks and resiliency services. Collaborate with other Stantec practitioners from multiple offices around the global organization.
- Develop a working understanding of Stantec’s other consulting practice areas and actively support cross-selling other services to existing clients.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Recognized nationally with experience leading projects or making significant contributions to the assessment of climate risks to infrastructure using Engineers Canada’s PIEVC Protocol.
- Experience in facilitating climate risks workshops and stakeholders’ engagement.
- Experience in client engagement, relations and proposal preparation.
- Experience in managing all aspects of a project (human resources, financial resources, project timelines, deliverables, communications with client and stakeholders).
- Experience in managing staff, prioritizing activities, and assigning tasks to meet project targets, budgets and deliverables.
- Experience in developing and delivering capacity building climate risks related activities to varied audiences in small and large groups.
- Experience in writing technical reports.
- Experience in preparing and delivering presentations to different audiences (technical and non-technical; small and large groups).
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or higher in civil engineering or related field
Professional engineering license
Minimum of 15 years of experience, which must include a minimum of 5 years of relevant consulting experience, with technical competencies in design and/or operations of infrastructure in the public and/or private sectors.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs. Willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities