PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
US Intermediaries is responsible for selling and servicing TRP investment products and investment management services to U.S. based financial intermediaries. The organization manages approximately 90 complex, high-touch national account relationships.
The Client Engagement Manager (CEM) is an integral part of the team responsible for retaining and growing USIS national account relationships. The incumbent works in partnership with the National Account Manager and has direct interaction with investment decision-makers, marketing and other key contacts at client firms as agreed upon and delineated with the National Account Manager, based on the needs of the client.
Clients categorized as national accounts are complex and multi-faceted, typically using multiple mandates and may have more than one investment vehicles (e.g., TRP Fund or sub-advised 1940 Act fund). They may also use TRP products in various platforms/programs.
Client Engagement/Relationship Management: Working in partnership with the National Account Manager (and Account Manager where applicable), this position maintains consultative working relationships with investment and other key contacts at National Account firms. Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing timely responses to client inquiries
- Using a consultative approach to determine unstated needs
- Proactive servicing to identified contacts
Key touch points include Home Office investment gatekeepers, Research Analysts, Product/Platform Managers, as well as Marketing, Compliance, Legal and Operational contacts. The role aligns TRP resources (PM/PS access, product capacity, marketing materials, due diligence requests, meeting support, administrative and operational support, and client reporting) to sustain world class service in order to build customer loyalty and satisfaction. Incumbent will possess a high level of industry knowledge, familiarity with the client’s business strategy, product and distribution structure. The incumbent is charged with developing and/or strengthening relationships in the furtherance of retaining clients and identifying potential cross- sell opportunities. This position will also identify and communicate assigned relationships’ trends for input into planning cycle.
Partner with the National Account Manager to ensure successful outcomes for investment review and other meeting types involving TRP subject matter experts.
- Manage the client/prospect investment due diligence meeting needs from the point of intake to final close out of last follow up item, including conducting due diligence calls, on-site meetings, and select off-site meetings.
- Travel as necessary; strive for at least one in-person home office meeting per client each year.
- Uses a consultative approach to determine purpose of meeting and ensures appropriate TRP investment professional(s) availability.
- Collaborating with the National Account Manager, responsible for appropriately briefing TRP Investment Professional and Senior Management on the rational for the meeting and any “hot buttons” for client, including preparing briefing documents.
- Conducts research independently to assess “hot buttons” and apprises TRP parties to maximize opportunity to successfully address and minimize sub-optimal meeting outcomes.
- Leverage associate CEM, shared services and administrative support to ensure schedules and client materials are client- and TRP-ready for meeting.
- Partner with the National Account Manager in the creation and maintenance of Client Plans, for each client.
- Ownership of the Client Servicing Plan for each client, which is part of the broader Client Plan.
- Ownership of accurate CRM information.
Develop and maintain good working knowledge of financial intermediary industry and relevant channels, global financial markets, and funds/products:
- Stay current on industry trends; must be an expert in the retirement and/or wealth management channel; know the channel players, the structure, touch points, channel trends, challenges, etc.; attend relevant industry conferences as appropriate.
- Stay current on global markets.
- Keep abreast of TRP fund/investment performance.
Team projects/infrastructure, process improvements:
- Lead by example and mentor newer and junior team members, including being a resource for the other internal groups. Collaborate with manager in the training and development of new staff; though not anticipated to have direct reports. Provide subject matter expertise as called upon in training of new hires.
Proactively make recommendations for the betterment of the team in terms of training, infrastructure and efficiency needs; participate in the implementation of any recommendations.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Business (Marketing, Finance, etc.)
- 5-7 years of related work experience
- FINRA Series 7 and 63
- Investment acumen
- Excellent relationship management, client service skills and consultative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; position requires the ability maintain working relationships with all levels of internal staff, cross-functional teams, and external customers.
- Excellent verbal communication skills. Speaks confidently and is articulate.
- Solid presentation skills. Can command an audience; take charge of a meeting with authority and grace.
- Demonstrates excellent written communication skills. Writes clearly, briefly where appropriate, can adjust tone to the recipient(s).
- When needed, has the ability to translate technical information into understandable terms.
- Embraces change, is open to new ideas, and maintains composure when faced with shifting priorities, resources or work demands; demonstrates resilience and flexibility in approach.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to quickly grasp business issues and understand business needs and strategy.
- Self-motivated and self-reliant. Must work well independently and take initiative to drive for results with assigned projects; able to function without day-to-day direct supervision.
- Negotiation skills; the ability to tactfully re-align divergent points of view to arrive at a desired outcome.
- Must have excellent collaboration skills and the ability to network and partner with managers across various internal groups to accomplish common goals.
- Ability to influence beyond formal span of control.
- Aptitude for identifying problems and areas for improvement – possesses a solutions oriented approach.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to adjust to and interact with different levels of senior management.
- Practices sound self-awareness.
- Masters’ Degree/MBA preferred
- 5-7 years relevant industry experience would be TRP phone group or client facing experience is a plus, as well as knowledge of intermediaries, and channel distribution preferred
- Strong knowledge of TRP funds and products, sub-advised and CIT policy as related to intermediary distribution preferred
- CFA or CIMA Designation preferred