At Alston & Bird, our people trust the people they work for, take pride in what they do, enjoy the people they work with, and serve the communities in which they live. Our environment has been praised as one of the most open and receptive in the United States, not only among law firms, but also among all businesses. Alston & Bird has been ranked by Fortune magazine as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For©" for 22 years in a row.
With guidance and direction from the Director of Client Billing, manages all aspects of operations within Client Billing, including but not limited to, standardized processes and procedures, client and matter data management, billing, e-billing, appeals, billing AFAs, training and reporting. Provides key leadership regarding the financial management of major client relationships. Provides direction, coaching and mentoring to billing staff and Supervisors to ensure the team is achieving a high level of productivity, accuracy and efficiency. Balances Communicates effectively and timely with the Director, Billing and Finance team, Partners, LAAs, and when necessary with clients.
- Manages standardized processes and procedures, including development, enhancements, implementation, and training of such.
- Manages all facets of the client billing process, including:
- review and maintenance of key client and matter data during and after matter opening
- accurate, timely delivery of prebills, editing of prebills, and creating/posting final client bills
- implementation of special billing requirements such as task-based billing, electronic billing and budgets
- timely follow-up on delinquent billing along with management reporting of same
- regular review and update of billing-related data for clients and matters
- review of bills to ensure compliance with firm policies and client guidelines
- monitor electronic billing to ensure successful transmittal and approval
- Cultivates relationships with supervisory staff to develop their skills and leadership abilities. Provides advice and coaching as needed on a variety of operational and personnel issues. Assists with overall department leadership and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Manage billing teams to provide backup coverage for extended absences, coverage during outings or meetings, training, documentation and communication of department processes and standards
- Handle billing directly for particular clients and partners (difficult/complex billing including spreadsheet billing, IP Billing, flat fees etc.)
- Onboard new partners with regard to billing (e-billed client setup, rate/discount setup, time deadlines, coordination of workflow with their LAAs)
- Produce reports for attorneys and LAAs (accruals, billing histories, open invoices etc.) and train other billing staff to increase overall department ability to easily and quickly respond to the most common report requests
- Coordinate distribution of incoming tasks to appropriate Billing Department Staff to ensure timely and accurate responses to attorney, LAA, and other staff’s requests
- Participate in evaluating, and proactively recommend, improvements to existing systems and processes, such as bill templates, e-billing hub setup, billing team workflow, coordination with attorneys and LAAs, application of new technologies, centralized billing, billing team member productivity, accuracy and efficiency metrics, etc. As requested, participate in or coordinate with system vendors on changes.
- Participate and contribute in Financial Systems deployments and related testing, specifically billing related financial systems
- Assist with closing batches and balancing processes at month-end as needed
- Organize training for billing teams on Financial Systems and technical topics, include training in group meetings
- In collaboration with Finance Management, perform annual staff performance appraisals/reviews, set goals with direct reports, and evaluate direct reports with objective/measurable criteria along with subjective fact-based observations
- On an ongoing basis manage workloads of staff and re-assign work to ensure a balanced workload across billing team members
- On an ongoing basis coach and advise billing team members on ways to improve their productivity and accuracy via individual or group settings
- Present risks and concerns in a timely manner to the CFO
- Participate in recruiting, interviewing, and on-boarding new billing team members.
- Other Duties as assigned
Skills Needed to be Successful
- 4-year degree in Finance/Accounting preferred but not required
- Law firm management and billing experience is strongly preferred
- Extensive experience required in Aderant Expert or similar billing system.
- Extensive experience with e-billing required (preferably has experience using and administering the e-billing Hub and/or BillBlast and experience in all major e-billing platforms)
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and other PC/software skills like .CSV files, .TXT files, LEDES98B/LEDES98BI files, XML files, report writers (Crystal, Hyperion or others) etc.
- Some supervisory or management experience is required
- Strong written and oral communication is required
- Ability to work with others, including billing team members and Finance management
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Previous experience of 5 or more years of law firm billing or other related experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Aderant Expert and Microsoft Excel.