Under general direction and working closely with the Sr. Director, Cargo Litigation, the Claims Counsel investigates and evaluates liability and potential damages on assigned high-risk/high exposure litigated cargo loss and damage claims in accordance with established procedures. This role assists the Sr. Director, Cargo Litigation in the resolution and management of household goods and logistics cargo loss and damage claims and lawsuits; investigates and prepares written briefs for federally mandated arbitration of disputed cargo claims and tariff collection litigation; pursues subrogation opportunities; investigates regulatory complaints and prepares appropriate responses; handles delay claim disputes and customer service disputes, and assists the Sr. Director, Cargo Litigation in managing other Senior Litigation Adjusters, reviewing and revising the Adjusters written work product, and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates excellent work ethic and superior writing ability, drafting clear and comprehensive written communications to both internal and external parties, as well as possesses excellent verbal communication skills.
- Effectively and efficiently communicates with agents, principals, claimants, attorneys for consumers and attorneys hired by the company both verbally and in writing.
- Works closely with Senior Leaders to identify litigation trends, suggest improvements based upon lessons learned, and assists in efforts to respond to changes in legal environment.
- Maintains accurate file documentation/data in the law department matter management system and cargo claims system.
- Collaborates in the defense and resolution of disputed cargo loss and damage claims, disputed claims submitted to binding arbitration, customer service disputes, collection disputes and litigation, and other customer service disputes.
- Analyzes liability and damage data in connection with the most challenging and complex claim disputes.
- Represents UniGroup subsidiaries in court proceedings, mediations, and settlement conferences.
- Works closely with outside counsel to develop litigation and/or settlement strategy to limit the company’s and its disclosed household goods agents’ exposure.
- Negotiates resolutions of disputed claims/arbitrated claims/ lawsuits and various customer service disputes via the extension of appropriate claim settlement authority in accordance with established procedures.
- Examines legal documents, venue data, verdicts reporters, and outside counsel reports and recommends advisability of defending and/or prosecuting lawsuits.
- Undertakes research of case law, statutes, and regulations to fully evaluate disputed cargo claims/lawsuits. Investigates and identifies subrogation-related opportunities.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-approved law school and Active Missouri law license
- At least two years’ experience in-house or in private practice in insurance defense law or litigation, or other equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of transportation, trucking, and moving/storage industry a plus.