Claims Consulting Director - Lawyers Professional Liability
CNA is currently recruiting for a Claim Consulting Director for Lawyers Professional Liability Claims. The position will be based in New York City, Chicago, Tarrytown, NY, Princeton, NJ or Lisle, IL. Other locations will be considered. The individual in this position will be responsible for handling high exposure, complex claims arising from the lawyers professional liability business segment, The main focus will be on the program segment involving insured law firms with 35 attorneys or less. However, claims involving mid-sized, large and mega-firms will also be a part of this position’s pending. The ideal candidate will be a strong technician with excellent coverage knowledge and have demonstrated leadership competencies. A formal job description follows: Job Summary
Individual contributorresponsible for the overall management of high exposure, high volatility, complexclaims within theLawyers ProfessionalLiability business segment. Recognized as the most senior technical expert in the interpretation of complex or unusual policy coverages in area of expertise. In conjunction with senior level management, works within assigned limits of the broadest authorityon assignments requiring the highestdegree of technical complexity and coordination. Has national or company-wide scope of responsibility within specialty area. This role will also have some business leadership responsibility including mentoring junior people on the team and working with underwriters and actuaries on claim trends and potential exposure. The role will also involve collaboration with MGUs, brokers andother external business partners.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Manages the most complex investigations of claims, including coverage defenses, liability and damages exposures. Determines if a major claim should be settled or litigated and implements an appropriate resolution strategy accordingly. Effectively manages loss costs and claim expenses on major claims.
2. Directs all types of investigative activity or litigation on major claims and ensures adequate and timely reserves are set. Consults and collaborates with staff counsel or panel attorneys regarding discovery and litigation strategy.
3. Directs and may engage in the negotiation of the most complex settlement packages to drive cost effective and timely settlements.
4. Makes recommendations to and participates with senior management and business leaders in the development and implementation of claims policy and business strategy.
5. Actively pursues and identifies ways to reduce inefficiencies in claims processes.
6. Utilizes oral presentation and writing skills to escalate or efficiently communicate appropriate exposures to senior claims management and other internal business partners, as needed.
7. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues industry activity and trends. May represent company in industry trade groups or other important events involving external business partners and clients.
8. Mentors and guides less experienced claims staff and other functional areas. Contributes to the development of claim training.
9. Responsible for special claims projects and presentations.
10. Identifies trends in complex claims and settlement strategies and communicates to senior management.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. The highest level of technical and product specific expertise, claims resolution skill and knowledge of insurance and claims principles, practices and procedures.
2. Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
3. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects.
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment to effectively evaluate and handle ambiguous situations and issues as well as analyze, distill and communicate important aspects of them succinctly.
5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
6. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software and company systems.
8. Ability to embrace change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
9. Effectively manages multiple projects.
10. Ability to articulate complex claim facts, issues and analyses in concise presentations to business partners and management as well as in internal reports.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum
10 years claimsexperience with proven track record of success.