JOB SUMMARY: Directs the investigation and payment of commercial property, casualty, and/or workers compensationclaims. Guides the determination of liability and sets policies governing the settlement of commercial claims. Directs the activities of defense counsel in order to expedite settlement and to control average loss cost and litigation expense. Promotes and provides "On Your Side" customer service.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to AVP, Commercial Claims
- Directs the settlement of all commercial claims and suits within the area, including commercial property, casualty, and worker's compensationclaims.
- Ensures claims best practices are followed in all assigned cases in accordance with company guidelines, state and federal regulations.
- Provides leadership in understanding, and interpreting industry data and trends for a broad range of audience.
- Directs the development of new products, processes, procedures, and training in response to customer needs and industry trends.
- Interacts with other related departments like underwriting, products, and pricing to share information and to maintain a consistent approach to resolve problems.
- Partner with industry leaders to help promote industry and legislative changes that benefit our stakeholders
- Develops strategic responses to court cases against Nationwide and its policyholders.
- Delivers a positive On-Your-Side customer service experience to internal, external, current and prospective Nationwide customers.
- Resolves customer complaints according to Best Practices. Monitors customer satisfaction in an effort to drive action plans for improvement.
- Develops and monitors a departmental operating budget.
- Enforces the adherence to compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Identifies, develops and retains high potential/high performing associates who have the potential for or are ready to fill critical roles in the organization.
- Directs associate management including performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Undergraduatedegree or post-graduate studies preferred.
- Licenses/Designations: State licensing where required. Successful completion of required/applicable claims certification training/classes.
- Experience: Ten years of commercial claims handling experience. Managerial or project lead experiencepreferred.
- Knowledge: Requires advanced knowledge of claims operating practices, and claims litigation laws and regulations. Requires in-depth knowledge of Nationwide's commercial product offerings, underwriting practices, and pricing strategies.
- Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
- Staffing Exceptions to the above Minimum Job Requirements must be approved by Business Unit Executive and Human Resources.