- Oversees activities within the Claims department. Provides file guidance:
- Investigates and maintains claims:
- Reviews and determines coverage and / or liability.
- Secures / analyzes necessary information (i.e., reports, policies, appraisals, releases, statements, records or other documents) in the investigation of claims.
- Works toward the resolution of claims files, complaints and disputes and attends arbitrations, mediations, dispositions or trials as necessary.
- May affect settlements / reserves within prescribed limits and submit recommendations to supervisor on cases exceeding personal authority.
- Ensures that claims payments are issued in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures that claims handling is conducted in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and other legal requirements, and that all applicable company procedures and policies are followed.
- Advises reporting staff on claim files and extends settlement authority as necessary after reviewing files.
- May establish reserves and make recommendations or reports for Corporate Claims or senior management.
- Coordinates the work activities within the unit. Responsible for day-to-day work and procedures. Assigns and checks work.
- Responsible for performance, development and coaching of staff (i.e., hiring, firing, performance management, salary increases, etc.). Provides training to new members of the team / unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.
Experience: 5 or more years of related experience, including prior supervisory experience.