We have an immediate opening for a Geotechnical Engineer with five+ years of experience in our Lansing, MI office. Candidates must have experience in geotechnical and geostructural analysis and design is necessary. Candidates must be accurate, dependable, organized and have strong interpersonal skills. Must have a Bachelor's degree in engineering; a Master's degree is preferred. Professional Registration is preferred.
Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering (emphasis on geotechnical engineering) from a 4-year accredited college or university. Master of Science degree preferred.
Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering exam or EIT required. Professional licensure or ability to attain professional licensure in the State of Michigan within 12 months preferred.
5-8 years of demonstrated experience in Civil Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering analysis and design. Excellent skills in geotechnical applications and soil-structure interaction. Experience with software for geotechnical analysis and design of slope stability, earth retention / shoring, settlement, vertical and lateral loading of shallow and deep foundations, and related items is necessary. The candidate needs to be independently capable of characterizing subsoil conditions, starting from development of an exploration program through laboratory testing, evaluation of data, and recommending design parameters. Experience coordinating and performing subsurface utility engineering (SUE) services following ASCE Utility Quality Levels D through A is preferred.
Key Job Elements
In this role, you will:
- Perform a variety of engineering analyses and calculations, with and without the use of engineering software.
- Prepare technical proposals, cost estimates, plans, technical specifications, and reports, including day-to-day correspondence.
- Develop and present project-specific or technical presentations to clients, technical organizations, and in-house staff.
- Coordinate field observations and studies, including on-site direction of geotechnical drilling activities, as needed.
- Coordinate SUE services, including document review, field services, and reporting.
- Monitor construction operations, including earthwork, dewatering, and excavation support installations and prepare engineering field reports.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills, be able to work in a team environment as well as independently, demonstrated team-oriented approach to problem-solving, and have strong interpersonal skills for contact with clients and fellow engineers/technicians.
- Accuracy, dependability and strong organizational skills
- Exceptional time management skills, ability to manage multiple assignments at any given time, and have ability to work in a team environment
- Must hold a valid driver's license, and willing to travel to and conduct field work at job sites/offices in Michigan and Ohio.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
- May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- May be required to enter and work within confined spaces, once appropriately trained.
Leadership and Project Management Experience
- At least 1 year of demonstrated leadership experience in mentoring and leading junior staff
- Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive reports as well as perform QA/QC reviews on work product
- Project planning, budgeting, task delegation and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans
- Project Administration, including invoicing and collections
- PMP certification a plus