Looking to take the next step in your career? Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Civil Field Engineer to join our Dynamic Earth Solutions group, supporting the Centerm project in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Our Dynamic Earth Solutions (DES) group forms an integrated core that provides clients with outstanding project execution through our geotechnical, hydrotechnical, and civil site development expertise. From concept to operation, we’re committed to providing traditional services alongside proprietary technologies and innovative thinking to deliver custom, cost-effective solutions.
From studies, analysis, and design to construction supervision and monitoring, our DES group specializes in site planning, spatial information and digital terrain modelling, surface and subsurface investigations, rock mechanics, underground structures, geotechnical laboratory services, flood forecasting and water resource management.
Interested in being part of pursuing and developing new technologies, unlocking constraints, and bringing more value to our clients’ operations? Join our team today!
The successful candidate must be adaptable, self-motivated, have the ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment, and be able to build and maintain strong relationships with both colleagues and external clients through excellent verbal and written communication.
The Field Engineer is to provide technical engineering support to the on-site Construction Management and inspection to ensure construction work complies with the engineering design. The Field Engineer's responsibilities shall also include assessing potential field problems and developing solutions as well as assisting with supervision of surface works.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Oversees and coordinates the on-site health and safety permitting process in accordance with the Work Permits procedure:
- Managing the permitting database and maintaining the as-built, redline, record and reference drawing database required for permit issuance
- Completing field verifications and permit walk downs with Contractors to ensure existing conditions are clearly identified
- Coordinating with Third Party Contractors to complete underground utility locating and mapping for excavation permits
- Assigning permit approval authority to Area Construction Managers or Field Engineers as applicable
- Reviews Contractor submittals including Inspection Test Plans, Method Statements and Standard Operating Procedures
- Reviews and verifies Contract daily, weekly and monthly progress reports and provides technical assistance to Quantity Surveyor, Project Controls and Contracts Administration
- Manages field information requests and site design change procedures and provides support in the concession review process
- Reviews Contractor supplied deliverables, including as-built documentation
- Generates and checks field sketches and red-line engineering deliverables
- Provides on-site technical guidance in the form of RFI responses and field sketches
- Completes site quality assurance field verification visits
- Performs daily HSE site interactions in compliance with the CRM process and ensures work is carried out safely, abiding by all Company and Project safety rules and applicable legislation
- Provides assistance to the Health and Safety Manager, Environmental Manager and HSE coordinators to ensure a safe working site and attends safety meetings with the Contractors
You bring to the role:
- Recognized degree in engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum 5 to 15 years’ experience in relevant civil design and field inspections
- Registered Professional Engineer, in good standing, with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC)
- Experience as a field engineer, coordinating with Contractors and completing quality assurance field verifications
- Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to utilize CAD and knowledge of drafting standards to maintain record drawings
- Experience with shotcrete and concrete an asset
- Experience with project handover, commissioning an asset
- Knowledge of survey standards and procedures