Primary function of a Civil/Structural/Architectural Estimator:
Prepares bids and submits proposals in order to acquire new projects that meet the goals of the Client Industrial business plan. Be a productive member of the Estimating Team.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
Pre Bid Process
- Review and understand project bid documents including plans, specifications, all related addenda and other relative correspondence as it relates to the area of your assigned estimate.
- Attend Pre-Bid meetings as required to gather all pertinent information related to a project and your assigned estimate division.
- Visit project sites to ascertain any local and project specific information that is needed to prepare a bid.
- Solicit participation from all required vendors and subcontractors and follow up to ensure timely delivery of quotes.
- Perform all necessary quantity take-offs for your assigned area.
- Assemble the estimate for your assigned division.
- Understand the relationship between all trade divisions.
- Estimate and enter labor, material, subcontract, and construction equipment costs for CIC self-performed estimate.
- Provide the engineer with questions and clarifications in need of resolution in order to properly prepare your detailed estimate.
- Prepare and attend all Bid Reviews conducted by CIC Estimating Department and Management.
- Take extra measures to ensure quality and accuracy of quantity takeoffs and cost estimates.
- Be prepared to assist the Design-Build Bid sponsor with estimates based on less that 100 percent documents relying on experience and subcontractor/vendor relationships.
- Assist team with preparation of bid level schedule.
- Maintain a Vendor/Subcontractor database with the firms that we engage with in all areas.
- React to and coordinate with other estimators and the bid sponsor regarding issues discovered during the bid process.
- Prepare spreadsheets as required to evaluate all vendors and subs.
- Prepare spreadsheets to evaluate and compare subcontractors' bids to Client's self performance of a portion of the project.
- Provide the estimating team with bid day support including your best estimate.
- Provide the estimating team with the information required to complete our bid documents on bid day.
- Support efforts to obtain Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) participation in our bids.
- Obtain prequalification information from subcontractors.
Post Bid Process
- On projects that we expect award, provide all estimate information to the estimating coordinator in preparation for a hand-off meeting.
- Prepare for and attend hand-off meetings to transfer information to the project teams.
- Respond to questions from the management teams as they begin the projects.
- Be prepared to assist project teams in a value engineering process.
- Receive and react to all feedback from the management teams as it relates estimate errors, vendors, and subcontractors.
- Be prepared to assist project management teams in any major change orders.
- Archive any information as required to be useful in future estimates.
- Build and maintain relationships with subcontractors and vendors.
- Visit ongoing projects to see the construction and relate that experience to future estimates.
- Train other estimators and be prepared to receive training from other estimators.
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications & Experience:
- 4yearengineeringdegree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related field experience.
- 2years estimating, engineering or similar experience related to civil/structural/architectural construction.
- Knowledge of means and methods related to concrete materials and construction including concrete mixtures, placement, finishes, formwork, reinforcing steel, repairs, precast structures, structural steel, and architectural finishes.
- General knowledge of estimating techniques, cost control and material pricing required.
- Ability to formulate and calculate mathematical expressions to obtain the desired quantity measurement and cost information.
- Read and understand engineering drawings, specifications and bid documents
- Computer Skills to include Excel, Outlook, Word, AutoCAD, and Primavera.
- Good communication skills and people management skills to effectively work within a team of estimators and managers to complete complex estimates and bid proposals.
- Possess technical construction awareness regarding available products, means and methods.
- Must be proactive and possess time management and multi-tasking skills to complete multiple estimates and proposals at a time.
- Ability to track job costs and maintain cost databases used for basis of estimates.
- Must be able to analyze all aspects of assigned bids including subcontractor scope/pricing and labor productivity for self-performed work.
- Must be able to offer insight regarding project schedule for matters relating to civil/structural/architectural construction.
- Knowledgeable in available construction equipment and able to utilize resources to maintain a database of equipment rental rates.
- Safety-minded in all aspects of work including building budgets in estimates for safety related means and methods.