Civil Engineering Lead is part of the Pressure Equipment Integrity Department Core Team. The Civil Engineering Lead is expected to actively participate in the planning of departmental activities, development and execution of departmental goals, and the development, review and updating of departmental policies and procedures. The Civil Engineering Lead is further expected to mentor less experienced departmental and plant personnel as appropriate. In addition, the role is expected to:
- Provide civil engineering support and inspection recommendations to Maintenance and Project Engineers for safe, reliable and efficient operations at the Port Arthur Refinery.
- Work closely with asset owners in ensuring assets are maintained in a fit-for-purpose manner using best practices to deliver asset integrity at the optimal costs that would support the sites business objectives.
- The Civil Engineering Lead will set criteria, plan, manage and overseeing execution of civil / structural work at Port Arthur Refinery. This will also include annual budget development and oversight.
- The Civil Engineering Lead reports to the Pressure Equipment Integrity Manager and holds overall responsibility for the stationary equipment at the Port Arthur Refinery.
Civil Engineering Lead is responsible for supporting the Port Arthur Refinery plant operations, maintenance activities, and capital projects. This position is a challenging role that assures all civil and structural assets are designed, fabricated, inspected, modified and repaired in a manner that is safe, reliability, and cost effective. The Civil Engineer Lead provides technical assurance for design work by contract engineering firms and construction related decisions in the field. Will review and approve engineering documents for conformance and accuracy and will make recommendations to the project teams in matters related to structural integrity, constructability, and value engineering.
- Provides day-to-day civil engineering support to the Refinery Production Units with respect to civil maintenance works i.e. general civil and structural infrastructure. Will be the focal point to enlist, co-ordinate, and/or oversee the use of company personnel, consultants, contractors, and other specialists.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a civil inspection program that ensures structural integrity and reliability of all civil assets and target best-in-class performance of the site. This will include some field inspection activities of civil assets.
- Manage company personnel and contractors who conduct routine inspections on existing civil structures and facilities on site.
- Provide civil engineering input for new Capital Projects, Revamps, and other plant changes.
- Participate or lead Root Cause Failure Analysis of civil engineering issues.
- Ensure that all assets comply with all Statutory Regulations, Engineering Codes of Practices, Motiva Company and/or Port Arthur Site standards and policies where applicable.
- Development and updating of civil engineering policies and guidelines.
- Assist in the evaluation of civil contractors and civil consultants and provide input into the contracting strategy for civil maintenance contracts.
- Support Maintenance, T/A, and Projects organization with technical review and oversite of Critical Lift Plans and engineered scaffolds as determined by site policy.
- Ensure day-to-day civil engineering activities comply with relevant HSSE and Motiva Requirements.
- Comply with Life Saving Rules and report / Intervene any unsafe behavior or unsafe operating condition observed while working in the plant.
- Participate in project HSSE reviews when necessary.
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- BS or MS in Civil/Structural Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in Civil/Structural Engineer in the oil or petrochemical industry.
- Critical Technical Skills
- Deep understanding of common structural designs found within a petrochemical facility. Capable of performing detailed structural loading design analysis.
- Skill level understanding of building codes and standards including ANSI, ASCE, ACI, AISC, IBC
- Strong Structural (Steel & Concrete) design and fabrication knowledge
- Deep and shallow foundations including piling design and soil bearing analysis
- Critical Soft Skills
- Strong organizational skills-must be able to manage a prioritized work list and keep multiple items moving.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work well with people at all levels in the organization.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Must be willing to establish and backup positions, which may be unpopular.
- Sound judgment and analytical skills to apply appropriate risk assessment methodologies and enact effective risk-based decisions.
- Work as part of team
- Self-motivated to progress assigned activities and actions.
- DesiredTechnical Skills
- Geotechnical engineering (soils)
- Cranes and Rigging (lift plans)
- Civil Construction QA
- Land Surveying
- Excavation and Trenching
- Marine Facilities and Coastal Protection
- Storage tank foundations
- Roads, Bridges, Trestles and RR Tracks
- Pipe racks and equipment supports
- Scaffolding and shoring
- Secondary containment (dikes, berms, firewalls)
- This position requires a strong ability to handle multiple projects and activities simultaneously with varying scope and content.
- Previous experience developing and leading technical assurance program within the Civil Engineering field or similar.