Civil Engineer - Land Development
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving—whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec is currently seeking a Civil Engineer to join our Community Development team in the Mount Laurel, NJ office. The role of a Civil Engineer is to work on a variety of projects for clients within private and municipal sectors under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer. Typical projects involve surveying and site/civil design for residential and commercial site development, as well as capital improvement projects to include cutting-edge green stormwater infrastructure.
The successful candidate will work with senior engineers/designers on various aspects of civil engineering assignments such as stormwater management modeling and design, preparing calculation packages, site grading, cost estimating, and developing plan packages for construction documentation. One should be able to manage priorities from various project leaders and be flexible and willing to work with constantly changing workflows.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Utilize AutoCAD Civil 3D and provide markups for junior engineers/designers.
- Review zoning and land development ordinances and applicable agency regulations to determine land development limitations for parcels
- Perform grading design including earthwork analysis, broad and detailed site grading and ADA compliance
- Design utility systems, including stormwater runoff & conveyance, sanitary sewer collection and water distribution.
- Prepare written correspondence with outside agencies, client, attorney, contractor, etc. Also prepares technical reports including drainage, sanitary sewer and site investigation reports.
- Assist senior engineers/designers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing, and schedule.
- Prepare or guide preparation of project specifications in coordination with design drawings.
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the civil group
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of agency and industry applicable codes. At least 5 years of site design and permitting experience
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting, and efficient use of time and resources.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and relevant design software (AutoCAD Civil3D, Hydraflow Hydrographs, WaterCAD, etc.).
- This position will require the successful passing of an AutoCAD Evaluation.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience within land or urban development
- Professional Engineering license required
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Local project experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in directing junior staff in execution of project deliverables is preferred
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.