About the Mission You Will Join:
The Department of Labor (DOL) has entrusted VMD to support the Office of the Chief Information Officer’s (OCIO’s) Cybersecurity Division to provide enterprise-level cybersecurity services including Information Security Governance and Policy, ISSO and Assessment Services, and Security Operations Center support. The Department of Labor administers and enforces more than 180 federal laws and thousands of federal regulations.
VMD’s mission is to work on the high-priority federal cybersecurity initiatives within the Cybersecurity Division encompassing cybersecurity governance, oversight, and security activities of approximately 27 agencies within DOL and 80+ FISMA reportable system boundaries. VMD facilitates the implementation and operations at an enterprise-level that deal with a wide-range of cybersecurity tools and incidents to protect DOL IT assets from adversaries. The entire team consists of 50 cybersecurity professionals and could potentially double within the next year as agency cybersecurity contracts roll up to this enterprise contract.
Your Impact to the Mission:
Do you thrive in an environment where you can provide front line support of cyber and security challenges in information technology, associated to Cisco security tools? In this Cisco Security Tools Engineer role, you will have the opportunity to engineer systems and solutions to include the software, hardware, and communications to support the total requirements with emphasis on security as well as provide for present and future cross-functional requirements and interfaces.
Experience Needed to Be Successful:
- Junior to mid-level experience with network security engineering, familiarity with overall network performance and operations, basic network performance troubleshooting, and a solid understanding of the relationship between network security tools and their use on the network.
- Experience in making tuning and configuration changes for proxies, firewalls, web content filtering, NetFlow and packet capture devices.
- Have familiarity and experience with the CISCO family of security tools, specifically, Stealthwatch and ISE. Experience with tuning and troubleshooting is required and experience with Web Content Filtering is desired.
- Ability to monitor Cisco solutions from a security perspective and contain threats.
- Ability to recognize common attack vectors such as, recon scans, botnet, malware, worms, trojans, and viruses.
- Ability to use correlation tools such as log aggregation tools or a SIEM for analysis
- Expertise security knowledge in designing, implementing, administering, and troubleshooting network infrastructure devices, including firewalls, routers, switches, wireless access points and controllers, and monitoring applications.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of core routing and switching design, configuration, and troubleshooting, and usage of Cisco Products
- Identify, assess, and present options for meeting the functional and technical requirements including hardware and software updates or upgrades.
- Be responsible for developing high level system design diagrams; ensure these systems are compatible and in compliance with the standards for open systems architectures, the agency and OCIO architectures, and the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) as they apply to the implementation and specification of Information Management (IM) solution of the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application.
- Ensure that the common operating environment is compliant; evaluate analytically and systematically problems of work flows, organization and planning and develops appropriate corrective action.
- Provide security-based engineering support for all phases of the system lifecycle for enterprise and tactical systems. This support shall include services such as network design and analysis, and configuration of information systems to conform to agency security standards.
- Securely provision ESOC security tools, required configurations, and accounts for use within the ESOC to monitor, analyze, detect, defend, and respond to threats against the agency.
- Participate in the creation of technical demos, briefings, and oral presentations materials. Provide Technical thought leadership and SME value to client interactions. Create strategies for developing win themes and addressing business challenges and opportunities uniquely and distinctly.
- Must possess excellent communication (Oral and written) skills, attention to detail, problem solving and excellent customer service skills
- Ability to navigate complex IT activities that span functions of organizations and regions to align results with organizational goals
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies and experience using agile to implement projects within a federal government environment, as well as managing an agile team
- Meets with customer and contractor personnel to formulate and review task plans and deliverable items. Ensures conformance with program task schedules and costs
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management (IM), Information Technology, Engineering, Cybersecurity or equivalent
Can Additional Years of Experience Substitute for Degree? No
Required Certification(s): None
Desired Certification(s): Cisco CCNP Security, Certified Information Systems Security Professional is (CISSP) with Information Systems Security Architecture Professional (ISSAP) concentration
Minimum Years of Overall Experience: 9
Minimum Years of Specific Experience in Field: 5
Minimum Clearance to Start: Public Trust
Work Status Allowable: US Citizen or Permanent Resident
The Type of Person That Will Excel:
- You are curious, inquisitive, and have demonstrated a constant eagerness to learn through actions.
- You have high attention to detail.
- You demonstrate personal accountability and integrity in all actions.