Summary of Position:
Provides strategic leadership for Continuous Improvement (CI) and capabilities processes and teams at the manufacturing site. This position is responsible to provide leadership to embed a CI mindset, develop capability and a learning culture through the Training 4 Excellence (T4E) standards and processes, and drive cost savings and process improvements using various tools and techniques such as Operational Excellence (OPEX) and Lean Six Sigma (LSS), while fostering a strong, people first culture for the site. This position plays a critical role in developing and cascading Regional Improvement strategy, defining metrics, and leveraging influential skills to sponsor cost savings initiatives and efficiencies. Leadership responsibilities include: OPEX teams, Training teams, and Lean Six Sigma Lead.
Internal to Mill: Mill Management, Operations, Maintenance, Engineering Teams and other associated mill functional teams (Quality, Logistics, etc.).
Internal to Region: Supply Chain Management, specifically the Supply Chain Strategy and Transformation team, Regional and mill OPEX Change Agents and the Global Supply Chain team.
Incumbent reports to the site mill manager. This leader has broad CI and capability development responsibilities for technically complex processes, plant equipment, facilities and personnel. Along with providing strategic leadership to the team members that report to them, he/she uses problem solving methods and tools to identify gaps in processes, capability and culture, identifying opportunities for CI and seeks innovative ways to close those gaps.
- Position requires a bachelor's degree and 10+ years of related experience, including significant experience in Engineering, Operations, Lean Manufacturing, and Maintenance and have a working knowledge and experience with the application of Lean, CI, OPEX, LSS tools and theory.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a high-speed industrial manufacturing environment/plant experience.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a CI, Lean and/or OPEX environment.
- Possesses strong understanding of the broader business and organization and can relate and effectively apply resources of the CI and Capabilities organization to it to drive business delivery.
- Incumbent would possess demonstrated ability to organize and lead a multi-functional team and foster a proactive team environment.
- Experience with developing and cascading large-scale strategy, demonstrated problem-solving mindset, strong project management skills, and proficiency with MS Suite are highly desired.
- Experience in multiple mills, product systems and staff experience, leadership of both exempt and non-exempt workforces are highly desired.
- Strong understanding of Adult Learning processes, Lean, CI and LSS thinking, systems and tools is highly desired.
- Experience in change management in addition to coaching and mentoring at all levels to drive collaboration across teams and functions is highly desired.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Champion and support OPEX, T4E and LSS programs and processes as the way to deliver quality and process capability improvements.
- Provide resources and systems to align equipment, products, processes, materials, systems, and procedures to achieve business objectives related to quality.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
Focus on Organizational Transformation and Culture:
- Manage yourself in accordance with the One K-C Behaviors and values.
- Lead your site's organizational transformation:
- Develop and execute an overall site plan that aligns to the KCNA strategy to drive a cultural transformation; increasing the engagement and enablement of all team members.
- Identify and drive transformation that is inclusive of front-line and support organizations to increase alignment towards achievement of aspirational performance targets.
- Support regional development and application of an Organizational Transformation Strategy, including owning select region-wide work elements.
- Incorporate organizational transformation thinking into your team's processes and tools.
Provide strategic and tactical leadership to drive Continuous Improvement using standard tools and processes across all functions in the site:
- Develop, facilitate and manage site's OPEX program, including providing leadership to and building capability of the mill OPEX change agents:
- Coordinates site roll out plan for OPEX including resource requirements, and leadership of overall change management aspects.
- Develops people, tools and processes to support the OPEX transformation, as a countermeasure to an identified problem.
- Facilitates Kaizen events within the Mill.
- Leads, mentors and supports entire team in execution of the Lean focus improvement content that is inclusive of front-line and support organizations to achieve alignment towards aspirational performance targets.
- Reinforce the OPEX processes and ensure sustainability of the OPEX System including: attend Tactical Implementation Plan (TIP) review at least once per month, attend key OPEX meetings, remove barriers, participate in Health Checks, and connect improvement activities to the change story.
- Drive standardization, simplification and breakthrough initiatives through CI, LSS, and Culture of Accountability (CoA) practices, including problem solving for site-wide or system-wide issues.
- Provide continuous feedback to leadership team, consistent with OPEX mindsets, the 6 K-C Behaviors and CoA principles.
- Facilitate, promote, and support Lean cultural development including: Coach and develop teams in the use of Lean techniques and thinking: use Lean assessment tools to prioritize activities and address gaps, build rapport throughout change team, and coach up to site management on K-C and OPEX behaviors including the implementation of Leader Standard Work (LSW).
- Provide leadership support to the Lean Six Sigma leader in their efforts to develop, facilitate and manage the site's LSS Strategies.
- Provide education on Lean tools, processes and thinking at the senior leadership level at your site and support your teams as they provide the same education to all other site personnel. Ensure related activities & programs (e.g. centerlining, Reliability, Quick Change, etc.) are interlinked to provide a coherent framework to the mill.
- Ensure consistent application of regional framework standards for management systems and processes.
- Track and report a scorecard of Organizational Transformation and OPEX, CI, Cost Savings measures. Supports clear communication of the acceleration change plans.
- Drives the strategic planning processes for the site including development, communication and follow-up of all strategic activity for the site.
- Champion and support OPEX, T4E and Lean Six Sigma programs and processes as the way to deliver long term savings and continuous improvement of overall equipment effectiveness.
- Place emphasis on CFI's and Internal Controls.
Vary widely with assignment and typically include:
Support delivery of $20 Million and cost transformation.
Approximately 28-35 Kimberly-Clark employees, with 11 direct reports .
18-24 indirect reports across 4 product systems.
Flexibility to travel up to 15% for benchmarking and best practice sharing across the North America Region.
Normal scheduled work hours will vary based on the need to support the 24/7 operation.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, 1.3 billion people - nearly a quarter of the world's population - trust K-C brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene, and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex, and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds No.1 or No. 2 share positions in more than 80 countries. With more than 140 years of history of innovation, we believe in recruiting the best people and empowering them do their best work. If fresh thinking and a passion to win inspire you, come Unleash Your Power at Kimberly-Clark.