Chief Technology Officer
- Significant experience as a senior technology executive, with demonstrated contributions as a thought leader and technology visionary
- 15+ years of related technical expertise in B2B or consumer technology,
- ~5 years of experience in technology management/leadership; ideally some experience in the online learning space
- Experience building and managing a high performing cross functional team that oversees product management, design, development, UX and engineering.
- Expert understanding of external competitive landscape and technology platform that can be leveraged, and how they integrate in both the education and capability building space
- Ability to build out our technology roadmap, with a solid perspective on when to build/buy/rent
- Experience with cloud computing and cloud technologies
- Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills
- Ability to communicate the technical possibilities and limitations of systems to non-technical colleagues
- Experience presenting to internal/external audiences such as senior level management or executives, senior technical audiences or clients
- Passion for understanding emerging technologies with pragmatic insight into where those technologies can be integrated into business solutions
- Proven experience in vetting and crafting technology solutions that are delivered on time and on budget
- Building and maintaining technical trusted advisor relationships with technical decision makers
- Prior experience working in a start-up environment highly preferred
- Ability to balance requirements, manage expectations, and drive effective results using a proactive attitude towards identifying and resolving issues
- Excellent collaboration and relationship building skills, both internally and externally
What You'll Do
You will build and manage a high performing team that oversees product design, development, and engineering and you'll evaluate external technologies and platforms to make sure we are bringing the best of ed tech to our clients.
You and your team will design and develop products that support distinct learning experiences and drive behavioral change and you'll work to develop a robust base learning platform either by converging on common tools/frameworks or by engaging in targeted custom development. You'll have the opportunity to work closely with the Academy’s client leadership, learning and operations teams to ensure the development of a durable and scalable best-in-class service model, and you'll manage all external vendor relationships.
Starting from the base of in-house talent and handpicked contractors currently at Academy, you will build the high-performing team required to build a world-class platform that is ready to scale massively in short order. You will work with the engineering and product teams to understand the requirements and goals and offer technical expertise on approaches. You will drive the architecture of the technology infrastructure and platform as they help leverage common processes/capabilities (e.g., support, service delivery) and you'll oversee every stage of the implementation of the technology.
Additionally, you'll work within the McKinsey New Ventures ecosystem to optimize the value of our technology platform and direction for the firm. You will aim to integrate the Academy with the broader McKinsey New Ventures ecosystem by choosing components that can be reused across other New Ventures, as well as sharing learnings and perspectives, especially on third-party capabilities and strengths or weaknesses.
Furthermore, you'll consider the place the Academy will hold within the larger external community working on education technology and engage in targeted “reach and relevance” practices to gain insights, promote our work, and open the door for alliances. You should also outline a clear approach to open source that protects the work we do while enabling us to be good members of that community.