The Chief Technical Product Owner (CTPO) is accountable and responsible for the overall health and value of one or more families of technology products used by numerous internal and external consumers. For the products within their scope of responsibility, the CTPO applies specialized technology delivery depth and experience to drive strategic architectural, performance, capability, and adoption roadmaps, aligning objectives among like-minded products. The CTPO works directly with a diverse body of business stakeholders and architects to shape and prioritize functional and non-functional requirements aligned to these roadmaps, managing the relationship between those counterparts and product engineering teams. The CTPO must have sufficient expertise to understand the technical composition of their products and engage as an equal participant in technical implementation and delivery optimization discussions with engineers, architects, and infrastructuretechnicians. The CTPO must also provide leadership to more than one TPO reporting to them, aligning their respective product roadmaps with the overall objectives of the product family or families under their scope of responsibility.
- Collaborate withagile teams to build and manage new features and capabilities to deliverdesiredbusiness impact
- Guide articulation of work items as Epics and User Stories in product backlogs using the Atlassian’s JIRA work management tool, including clear, comprehensive, and “testable” acceptance criteria
- Work with disparate business groups to optimize business and financial case for new feature enhancements, providing a clear assessment of any work item’s business or customer value
- Lead the prioritization of outstanding product backlog work in negotiation with business stakeholders.
- Work with business stakeholders and solution architects to create, elaborate, decompose, and communicate new feature requests to Sr. TPOs from which can be derived cohesive, iterative delivery plans that align to longer range vision executed over multiple releases.
- Maintain and effectively govern Definitions of Ready & Done to be applied in onboarding and delivery of new user stories; maintain groomed backlog with a focus on business stakeholder and strategic technology product priorities to ensure the product team always has ready work to act on and is never idle waiting for something to do.
- Work with other CTPOs to proactively resolve inter-product dependencies and resolve conflict effectively across teams.
- Advocate for process improvements through an understanding of the engineering lifecycle, tooling, and previous experience.
- Drive product health and value through prioritization of sufficient monitoring and instrumentation in place to validate business outcomes and tech product health
- Drive ever improving delivery throughput of the teams through prioritization of Continuous Integration and DevOps practices and tooling with integrated, robust testing automation to build efficient, effective pipelines from development to production (e.g. GitHub, Jenkins, JFrog Artifactory, CloudBees, Puppet, Chef, Cucumber, XL Release, etc.)
- Focus on reducing tech debt when value can be measured in efficiency and quality metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience.
- 10-14 years relevant experience or Master’s degree and 6-10 years of relevant experience.
- 2-4 years of leadership experience, supervising teams of software technologists or product owners.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field.
- Knowledge of user experience and technical design essential.
- Though not a development position, some previous software codingexperience isrequired, preferably with the following areas:
- Web Services
- RESTful APIs
- Cloud (Pivotal Cloud Foundry)
- Database applications
- Proven skill at balancing technical knowledge with business possibility and acumen.
- Relationship building and management skills are critical
- Experience with long range roadmap planning and advancing strategic change
- High degree of comfort in fast-paced dynamic / ambiguous environment.
- Ability to work cross functionally with Compliance, IRM, Infrastructure, and Software Engineering, and business customers.
- Passionate member advocate with ability to identify and meet customer needs within agile framework.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Do you enjoy thinking strategically about the full life cycle of a technical product? Are you a techy type with the people skills to go with it? If so you may find a fit within technical product management, the team that manages our technology product portfolio and roadmap – creating, executing and helping to deploy scalable solutions used by our clients and members every day. If we’ve peaked your interest, let’s strike up a conversation.
Job Id: REQ20009979