Requisition ID: 51027
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As the Chief Sustainability Officer, you will be responsible to ensure Scotiabank’s business activities create sustainable long term value for communities. You will lead and oversee sustainability globally, ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed / delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures. You will be responsible for the communication and coordination with executive management, shareholders, customers, employees and other stakeholders such as the government agencies to develop, address and lead execution of an overarching Global Sustainability strategy that positions Scotiabank as a leader in the ESG space.
- Develop and execute on mid to long-term strategies to position the Bank as a leader in ESG across its key markets. Improve the sustainability impacts in its operations, advance sustainability innovation that generates financial and social benefits, embed sustainability in the corporate culture, and engage employees and external stakeholders to advance sustainability at the Bank and in our key markets.
- Refine and champion the vision for Scotiabank’s sustainability platform & CSR strategy.
- Collaborate with the business lines and key stakeholders including the Investor Relations, the Corporate Secretary, Social Impact Team (Canada and IB), Donations and Sponsorships Global Risk Management and Real Estate to develop a coordinated sustainability roadmap to deliver the Bank’s commitments.
- Lead a Sustainability Advisory Council that will guide and advocate for key initiatives.
- Advise the bank’s leadership on best practices in CSR and sustainability.
- Oversee bank-supported or bank-led research initiatives on selected sustainability/CSR policy issues.
- Identify and lead studies of relevant public policy issues affecting the bank and its key stakeholders. Ensure research is communicated and disseminated as appropriate.
- Convene internal and external leaders on a regular basis to share information on evolving issues, how they affect Scotiabank, and the impact that Scotiabank is having and could have on the issues.
- Monitor the political and regulatory environment around key societal issues (excluding FI regulatory issues).
Program Management & Reporting
- Lead the development and implementation of sustainability policies and programs to align with corporate objectives.
- Establish and implement methods to demonstrate the relationship and value of sustainability performance and CSR initiatives to business results.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives that have material impact on our sustainability & CSR efforts.
- Build on the internal database of sustainability knowledge; track and monitor industry trends to identify best practices for continuous improvement.
- Manage and track all sustainability & CSR KPIs, globally; provide regular updates on performance to management.
- Manage the overall Sustainability budget.
- Develop the strategy for taking the Bank’s sustainability & CSR message to external audiences, including customers, investors, communities, the media and the industry.
- Develop and manage sustainability & CSR program marketing communication and outreach, including annual reporting to stakeholders ranging from our Board of Directors to CSR agencies such as Dow Jones Sustainability Index, the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and others.
- Represent the Bank’s interests with federal, provincial and local government regulatory agencies as well as groups which establish standards for industry.
- Be the spokesperson for Scotiabank’s sustainability & ESG efforts with customers, media and industry groups.
- Leverage strategic relationships and maintain a significant external network of contacts.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Partner with Scotiabank’s business lines and functional units in the development and implementation of key elements of the sustainability strategy, with a focus on initiatives that have measurable results and help meet key goals. Work with business partners to manage and/or mitigate real or perceived negative ESG impacts associated with financial products and services. <l