Careers that Change Lives
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
The individual in this scientific leadership position will apply advanced scientific and technical concepts to develop and integrate Research and Core Technology strategies with those of the Pain Stimulation and Early Interventions Business. As a key strategic role, the position will report to and consult with the VP of Research and Technology, and provide scientific expertise to SEI leadership. The candidate will be responsible for developing and managing an SEI specific research portfolio. Also, the incumbent will lead cross functional teams in the design and execution of translational research and technology projects.The position will collaborate with Clinical partners in the design and execution of clinical feasibility studies. As the primary Research and Technology liaison to the Pain SEI business, this individual will work closely with the Therapy Director and General Manager to define and align business and research strategies, as well as provide scientific expertise to leadership within and across business units, including Regulatory, Medical Affairs, Business Development, Marketing, Product Development, etc.
Day in the life:
• Develop and drive execution of research strategy through projects at Medtronic and with clinical and scientific collaborators
• Lead multi-disciplinary, cross functional teams and shape the research program to deliver consistent and innovative scientific results that translate to improved and new therapies with significant benefit to patients
• Provide vision and strategic leadership for innovation and research activities in pain therapies
• Serve as spokesperson to communicate advanced concepts to leadership, customers, collaborators, and colleagues
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with customers, research experts, external investigators, and government agencies
• Secure and manage research specific to the pain stimulation and early interventions business unit
• Prepare reports, publications, oral presentations, and intellectual property submissions
• Supervise, mentor, and direct scientific and technical staff in execution of projects
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications
• Bachelor's of Science
• 10 years of experience with a Bachelor's Degree OR
• 8 years of experience with a Master's Degree
• 6 years of experience with Doctorate Degree
Nice to Have
• PhD in Neuroscience or related discipline with Neuroscience emphasis.
• Knowledge and expertise in relevant animal models, clinical disease states, clinical research and related research approaches.
• Minimum of 7 years industry experience in medical device/drug development for neurological applications.
• Practical experience in medical device development from early through late phases.
• Demonstrated track record of successfully leading projects to completion using a good balance of high level strategic and scientific-tactical though processes and judgment.
• 7 or more years in medical device product development, or other highly regulated environment.
• Broad understanding of the scientific foundation and clinical practice for pain management
• Deep knowledge and understanding of fundamental science around neurostimulation and other interventional pain therapies
• Broad cross-functional understanding of business administration and the medical device business
• Experience working directly with physicians and other healthcare professionals in the medical device or healthcare industry.
• Strong executive-level leadership presence, skills and proven ability to work effectively in a multi-divisional, multi-cultural, matrixed organization.
• Demonstrated ability to gather complex inputs and constraints and synthesize into clear strategy plans.
• Strong communication, negotiation and conflict management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to formulate written strategies and communicate them orally and with clear documentation.
• Proven ability to initiate, build, and sustain strong positive relationships with clinician customers.
• Ability to collaborate with and influence individuals from a wide variety of geographies, functions, and levels throughout the organization.