$100K — $150K *
The Chief Physician Assistant for the Division of Urology will lead, supervise and coordinate the daily activities of the Staff Physician Assistants. He/she will work to promote the service and help to guide its strategic direction in concert with the Medical Director of the PAs. The Chief PA will take on a leadership role in the implementation of the goals of Brigham & Women’s Hospital, as well as the Division of Urology. Clinically, this individual will serve as a PA for the division, and will assist the Attending Physicians in all areas of patient care.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. PRINCIPAL NON-CLINICAL DUTIES
A. Supervisory Responsibilities:
The Chief Physician Assistant will be responsible for the maintenance of organization, collegiality and professionalism among the staff physician assistants. He/she will teach, assist, and council the staff physician assistants of the Division of Urology to ensure their compliance with clinical and administrative duties of the division. In conjunction with the Medical Director, he/she will screen, interview and hire new staff applicants. In concert with the Medical Director, be responsible for periodic performance evaluations of the staff physician assistants.
1. Maintain staffing level of PA's in the division; reassess needs and delegation of coverage.
2. Organize and manage components of the hiring process, with input from Medical Director.
a. Review of resumes, interviewing and hiring of staff PA's
b. Ensure all components of credentialing and CME for staff PAs are kept up to date.
c. Development and implementation of orientation procedures and training of PA's
d. In conjunction with supervising MD, ninety (90) day review for new hires per HR in writing
e. In conjunction with supervising MD, Medical Director, and administrative director, prepare annual salary review and documentation for each PA/merit raise determination
f. Ensure creation of scope of practice and privileging documents are accurate and in line with appropriate functions and needs.
g. Creation of prescriptive privilege documents
h. Creation of staff PA job description documents
i. Ensure Leasing agreements are up to date for all staff PAs
3. Monitor and manage various employment issues
a. Annual HealthStream Training completion, including but not limited to HIPPA and OSHA training as well as joint compliance training of PA's with compliance
b. Maintain files of all PA's credentials and work with credentialing committee to maintain standards
c. In conjunction with supervising MD, perform FPPE/OPPE per JC and submit to Provider Services in writing.
d. Oversee PA II projects for all PAs
e. Ensure annual merit reviews are completed for all PAs.
4. Scheduling of PA's:
a. Manage Schedules to ensure workweeks are delegated appropriately.
b. The Chief Physician Assistant will ensure that a schedule of duties is maintained, distributed and posted.
c. He/she will mediate scheduling conflicts, organize time off and time away for the staff physician assistants.
a. Will ensure that all PAs accurately document hours worked for payroll purposes, including paid time off, extra shifts and education time.
6. Assure up-to-date license and certification renewals
1. The Chief PA will assist with Quality Assurance Programs regularly.
2. He/she will attend the monthly Morbidity and Mortality meetings
3. The Chief will work with Center for Clinical Excellence as needed to help implement quality improvement efforts.
4. The Chief PA will participate in hospital committees as needed to help implement quality improvement efforts.
D. Education & Training:
1. The Chief Physician Assistant will supervise medical students (MD and/or physician assistant) who do clinical rotations in the urology as directed by the attending physician.
2. Under the direction of the attending MD, the physician assistant will teach students, house staff, nurses, technicians and fellows. He/she will provide education about the evaluation, interventional treatment and longitudinal care of patients with various disease processes.
3. The Chief PA will provide mentorship and preceptorship program to PA students selected from Accredited PA programs who come from 6-8 weeks each year for an elective rotation.
E. Continuing Education, Research and Quality Assurance
5. The Chief Physician Assistant will be responsible for the organization of continuing education and teaching exercises for the physician assistant group and will work with the nurse educators to develop and maintain optimal medical practice.
6. The Chief Physician Assistant will organize the orientation and training of new staff Physician Assistants and will assess their competence in collaboration with the Director and supervising physician(s).
7. The Chief Physician Assistant will organize the group’s participation in research involving planning, performance, and analysis of data, and publications.
8. The Chief Physician Assistant will complete the 100 hours of continuing medical education required during each 2-year period of employment. He/she will attend internal and external education meetings and read appropriate professional journals in order to maintain and enhance skills and clinical competence.
9. The Chief PA will ensure staff PAs are also completing their 100 hours of CME and educational requirements as necessary.
10. He/she will advance managerial /supervisory skills through hospital wide and/or outside training. The physician assistant will be expected to advance his/her medical and technical skills as appropriate to deliver optimum patient care.
11. Create and coordinate quarterly PA teaching conferences with attending MD guest speakers in subjects related to specialty or department/division interests.
12. The Chief PA will receive any safety reports regarding PAs in their area and will work with risk management & safety to review cases and create plans. The Chief PA will work with staff PAs to ensure issues are resolved and action items are implements.
F. Billing & Compliance
a. Working with Billing Compliance, the Chief PA will ensure the PAs and Supervising MDs are educated on proper billing compliance rules and methodology.
b. The Chief PA, when applicable, will be responsible for ensuring the proper billing & compliance standards are being followed.
c. Ensure Leasing agreements are up to date for all staff PAs
d. Working with Provider Services, ensure PAs are enrolled and credentialed in the necessary health plans.
7. "Go-to" person for all things related to PA's
8. Ensure that hospital policies are followed by all PAs in their area.
2. Principal Clinical Duties (specific to Clinical Areas):
See principal duties and responsibilities, BWH Job Description for Division of Urology Physician Assistant I. (Please attach).
1. Must be a graduate of a 2-year graduate level program approved by the AMA Board of Approval and Certification of physician assistant Programs.
2. Must have 4 years of college level education and bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
3. Board certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants is required.
4. Two or more years of experience in Urology preferred.
5. 2-5 years demonstrated administrative and/or supervisory experience.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Must have broad knowledge of, and experience in, the medical environment, medical practices and performance goals of the Department of Surgery at BWH.
2. Must be energetic, quality driven and have proven ability to develop a cohesive team of peers dedicated to optimum patient care.
3. Must exercise the highest degree of professional judgment under the direction and guidance of a licensed physician.
4. Must be able to accept instruction and guidance and assume graded responsibility in complex teamwork.
5. Must be able to administer such care and treatment and exercise such independent originality in solving problems not covered by existing guidelines, within legal limits, to meet the needs of the patients.
6. Must maintain a professional attitude toward patients at all times and an excellent and collegial working relationship with other personnel involved in patient care.
7. Must demonstrate understanding of procedures, policies and documentation required to facilitate PAs compliance with hospital standards of care.
Valid through: 10/15/2020