$250K — $500K+*
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Operating Officer serves as an integral member of the leadership team and leads a team of professionals across a diverse array of functions.
S/he is responsible for the development and execution of the Foundation’s strategies, policies, and procedures in all central operations areas including finance, accounting, technology, human resources, volunteer management, legal, and workplace administration. S/he optimizes the performance of operational areas to collaboratively support the dynamic needs of a growing organization.
· Manages the Foundation in the development of its overall strategic, financial, and project management planning.
· Establishes organizational policies, practices and procedures that promote a diverse and inclusive culture focused on high performance, collaboration, and continuous improvement
· Executes CFO activities, including leading all aspects of financial planning, budgeting and forecasting, internal and external reporting, and audit oversight
Team and Operational Management
· Leads the Operations team, coaching and developing them in the attainment of organizational and professional development goals
· Responsible for strategy development, annual plans and goals for the Operations team
· Engages at various levels with the Foundation’s broad and diverse constituent base, working closely with the Board of Directors
· Serves as the staff liaison for the Board Finance Committee facilitating finance policies, monitoring, and investment strategies with the external advisors
· Incorporates and influences development of national support services and policies by Make-A-Wish America
· Develops, manages, and cultivates vendor partnerships
· Maximizes utilization of financial resources, ensuring the efficiency and integrity of accounting functions and internal controls
· Optimizes the use of data and technology in supporting business needs, leveraging resources and platforms from Make-A-Wish America and providing additional technology to meet the Foundation’s needs
· Oversees the human resource function, developing a high-performance workforce of 45+ staff and 1700+ volunteers through consistent and effective
recruitment and hiring practices, development and training, and strong engagement of our team.
· Develops the organization’s workplace model, including its business continuity plans, remote work structure, and oversight of office management and administration for offices in Chicago and Peoria.
· Handles all legal matters for the Foundation, seeking external support as needed
· Performs other duties as required
Required Skills & Competencies:
· Proven track record of team leadership and capacity building, and ability to work in a collaborative environment
· Strong analytical and problem-solving ability
· Demonstrated competency with strategic plan development and frameworks
· Strong financial acumen and skills in budgeting, financial analysis and modeling
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to translate complex concepts in easy to understand and transparent ways
· Excellent organizational, time and project management skills
· Solid understanding of business functions including human resources, finance, and technology
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, financial accounting software, and CRM databases
Preferred Education & Experience:
· 10 or more years of experience in operational leadership
· 3+ years experience as a Chief Operating Officer or similar role
· Bachelors degree (masters preferred) in business related discipline
· Not-for-profit experience preferred
Valid through: 7/9/2021