At this important moment in its history, Feeding America is seeking a Chief Operating Officer ("COO") to lead the implementation of Feeding America's strategy working hand-in-hand with member food banks and other key partners. The COO will develop and implement changes in Feeding America's operating model in support of the strategy and the outcomes it seeks to achieve leveraging the existing food bank network as well as new partners that supplement Feeding America's core capabilities. S/he will build and enhance relationships with network leaders and other key partners to clearly define shared goals and co-create strategies and plans for achieving those goals in support of the vision and mission.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the COO serves at the number two executive at Feeding America, a member of the Executive Team and the senior FANO member of the National Council.
- Lead the development of focused execution plans and measurable objectives to deliver against the strategy and annual operating plan exercising fiscal discipline over the investment of FANO's resources both within the existing network and with new partners.
- Provide leadership to stimulate the co-creation of integrated, outcomes-focused strategies including sourcing and distribution, programmatic interventions and partnerships in collaboration with network members and other key partners. Establish common vision with food bank leaders and key non-food bank partners focused on strategic outcomes and the operating model changes required to achieve these outcomes.
- Foster a culture of research, innovation and learning with partners focused on deepening our understanding of hunger and the creation of new strategic opportunities to better serve our clients and advance the fight against hunger.
- Develop strong partnerships between the national office and network food banks to ensure collaborative decision making and effective co-creation of strategies, plans, policies and governance keeping people facing hunger at the center of all we do together as a network.
- Cultivate partnerships beyond our food bank network that leverage new capabilities in the service of our mission and the outcomes we seek to achieve.
- Strategize with FANO staff and food bank leaders to build network capacity, equitably distribute resources and maintain strong relationships with a consistent focus on optimizing outcomes in support of people facing hunger.
- Provide leadership for the staff and network members via open, two-way communication with the National Council food bank leaders.
- Develop, strengthen, and maintain strategic alliances and partnerships with key stakeholders and partners in non-profits, corporations, academia, community-based organizations, educational institutions and government.
- Construct a streamlined organizational structure that attracts and encourages talented team members to achieve excellence and establish accountability; lead the implementation of internal policies and procedures that facilitate the success of team members and the organization.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies, qualities and characteristics:
The COO will have a proven record of converting strategy into effective execution. S/he will have the ability to engage diverse stakeholders to build specific strategies focused on the achievement of outcomes and long-term strategic goals. S/he will be an innovative and enthusiastic self-starter who can position Feeding America for the future. S/he will be a visionary and naturally elevate ideas to the next level. S/he will embrace principles of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in hiring, mentorship, teambuilding, network interventions and stakeholder engagement. S/he will actively focus on building equity into structures, systems and processes for employees and the communities Feeding America serves.