The Chief of Staff is a key leadership position for the Chief Services Officer (CSO). This highly visible role serves as a trusted advisor to the CSO and acts as a key liaison among executive management. This position assists CSO in determining and managing top priorities and represents the CSO in working with internal and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate must be passionate about the technology solutions industry and the company's customers, offerings and employees. Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), influencing and leadership skills will be critical. Success depends on building rapport and credibility with multiple stakeholders across the organization at every level. The candidate must be a strategic thinker who can quickly operationalize company-wide initiatives and demonstrates natural learning agility and personal flexibility in a fast-paced, change-oriented environment.
The Chief of Staff is responsible for driving the facilitation and execution of the strategic initiatives and priorities of the CSO, including preparing communications and acting as an adviser to the CSO. The Chief of Staff will direct, monitor and contribute to strategic projects and program management for the CSO's office. The Chief of Staff also coordinates executive team activities. This position requires the ability to balance and influence multiple competing priorities and individuals and is responsible for the central coordination of all operational activities in Teradata Services. The successful candidate will provide leadership and direction for change management initiatives, budget, and financial planning, program development on behalf of the CSO and ensure high impact executive communication distribution internally and externally. Additionally, this position has oversight for all ongoing projects supporting the Services agenda to ensure that the established milestones and measurement criteria are being met.
Operational/Strategic Initiatives and Governance
- Coordinate and operationalize initiatives within and across business units.
- Analyze data and organizational metrics to provide insight and recommendations to improve the organization's accountability and efficiency.
- Facilitate the development, coordination, communication, and accomplishment of CSO's short and long-term business strategies.
- Assist with operational management decisions and actions as directed.
- Support corporate governance-related matters and policies.
- Working with the CSO and in collaboration with the leadership team, develop and manage annual objectives in relation to Services needs that drive business success through silo-breaking activities like common goals/objectives and critical strategic discussions.
- Coordinate organization-wide goals cascade process and report quarterly accomplishments.
Office of the CSO
- Prepare monthly presentations, relevant documents and briefing materials for monthly/quarterly reviews to CEO and other commitments for the CSO. Determine appropriate content and messaging.
- Coordinate with the Chief of Staff from the Office of the CEO to ensure alignment on initiatives and communications.
- Develop customer-facing materials for executive presentations.
- Actively participate in and/or lead various forums/meetings internal and external. Prepare presentations and report back to the various stakeholders.
- Owner and central point of contact for CSO's leadership meetings and content. Responsibilities include: Plan, organize, develop agenda, and facilitate CSO driven meetings to include LT Offsite meetings, All Hands/Town Halls, Services Reviews with ELT (CEO), Program Reviews/ Alignment, Executive meetings, Monthly Operations Meeting, Committee meetings, etc.
- Oversee presentations, including communicating prep expectations to attendees
- Capture key items, maintain milestones and track, assign and maintain clear action items and exception reporting. Work with the leadership team to ensure follow-up on deliverables and escalate key issues that are stalled.
- Facilitates relationships with key constituencies.
- Plan and oversee recognition and innovation events.
- In partnership with Corporate Communications, ensure consistent impactful communication to employees, customers, partners, and other key stakeholders.
- Manage organizational announcements and confidential projects.
Skills and Attributes
- The desired candidate will be a change agent who can work with employees and managers to streamline processes, with the goal of improving service and customer satisfaction.
- The candidate must be able to look across a broad spectrum of services offerings, technologies and process methodologies to formulate and drive improvements into the daily processes.
- Experience in building and leading high performing teams.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have the ability to multi-task while driving several initiatives simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to transform general strategic direction into tactical action plans, with validation from stakeholders, generating choices and opportunities
- Proven project management skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to include conflict resolution; demonstrated skills in systematic problem-solving.
- Strong influencing skills and ability to work across interdisciplinary teams that are geographically dispersed.
- Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent presentation and communication skills. Ability to communicate advanced analytical concepts and complex quantitative analysis in a concise, clear and actionable manner. Able to develop technical presentations from conceptual information to completion as well as analysis.
- Positive attitude and intellectual curiosity are both musts.
- A Bachelor's Degree in a technical or related discipline; Master's in Business Administration is preferred.
- 10+ years in related project management or engineering management experience is preferred for this role.
- Broad business background, with international operations and strategy experience; ability to converse intelligently with other functional areas such as Product, Marketing, Legal, Finance, Sales, and IT, as well as suppliers and customers
- Appropriate certifications (PMP, PgMP, MBA) desired.
- Strong strategic/financial analysis skills
- Knowledge of financial controls, the IT organization, and a broad understanding of business drivers and strategies.