Quinnipiac University is seeking a dynamic and highly qualified candidate to advise members of university leadership on public safety matters to ensure a secure, and inclusive environment for all students, employees and campus visitors and who is effective working with and supporting diverse populations to serve as our next Chief of Public Safety.
Reporting to the Chief Experience Officer, the Chief is responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures relating to campus safety; ensuring compliance with all reporting requirements; collaborating with faculty, staff and students to provide educational programs and public safety services; and serving as liaison with federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. The Chief of Public Safety has managerial, administrative, and fiscal responsibility for Quinnipiac University Department of Public Safety. Other responsibilities include the management of patrol services, communications and information services for the department, facilities and residential security, investigations, victim assistance, crime prevention programs, emergency and disaster preparedness, responses to hostile threats, training, and the professional development of department personnel.
This is a twelve-month, full-time exempt position that will require evenings and weekends.
About Quinnipiac:Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls 7,000 full-time undergraduate and 3,000 graduate and part-time students in 100 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing and College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac consistently ranks among the top regional universities in the North in U.S. News & World Report’s America’s “Best Colleges” issue. Quinnipiac also is recognized in Princeton Review’s “The Best 380 Colleges.” Quinnipiac has been named a “Great College to Work For” as determined by a comprehensive industry survey. For more information, please visit www.qu.edu. An education at Quinnipiac embodies the University’s commitment to preparing graduates for 21st century careers and citizenship, creating an inclusive, excellence-driven community, nurturing and positively impacting internal, local and global communities and fostering lifelong connections and success. The University believes in educating a diverse student body to become valued and contributing members of their communities through vital and purposeful educational programs. Students engage with real-world issues through practice and considering different perspectives. The University’s innovative curriculum further prepares undergraduate and graduate students to understand their roles and responsibilities as members of the Quinnipiac community as well as the larger national and global communities.Responsibilities:Management of Administrative and Operational Duties
- Responds to inquiries from senior-level university officials
- Formulates departmental policy
- Oversees development and submission of internal and external statistical reports, including the timely reporting of the provisions of the Clery Act, and reports for submission to the Uniform Crime Reporting System
- Makes hiring, promotion and disciplinary decisions
- Ensures compliance with state and university policies in the operation of the department
- Ensures service mission of the department is met, providing all employees with appropriate training in areas such as customer service, community policing, and Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability diversity
- Serves as primary campus representative to cultivate and maintain partnership relationships with local, state, federal and public and private agencies or organizations responsible for law enforcement issues
Budget and Planning Duties
- Oversees preparation and management of budget requests for department operations and personnel
- Forecasts and controls expenditures for the department by projecting department needs, justifying requests, allocating funds, revising priorities, and monitoring expenditures of various department programs
- Plans and prepares goals and objectives for the department by conducting management team meetings, departmental meetings for effective communications, and optimal productivity; and ensures appropriate technologies are available and efficiently used in departmental operations and police activities
- Responsible for the oversight of planning and directing of parking and transportation
- Development and Implementation of Comprehensive public safety program affecting all members of the university and surrounding communities
- Serves as an advisor to all university departments and administrators on law enforcement matters, security issues, investigations, etc.
- Develops and maintains programs to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations; and provides timely reporting as necessary for compliance with such programs
- Engages with and is responsive to faculty, staff and student feedback
- Carries out administrative responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Education Requirements:Master's Degree in Business Management, Public Safety Administration or a related field.
- Qualifications:Fifteen years (15) of Law Enforcement experience with a Local, State or Federal Police Agency, or a combination of significant experience in law enforcement, public safety, training, education
- Experience working in Public Safety at a higher education institution and/or an environment with youth is preferred
- A minimum of ten years (10) of supervisory experience in a commander level (Captain) rank or higher
- Attendance of the FBI Academy or comparable Chief Executive Leadership training
- Extensive collective bargaining experience is required
- A commitment to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, allowing for building and maintaining effective working relationships with members of the Quinnipiac Department of Public Safety and other law enforcement agencies