Forbes List of America’s Best Employers 2018
Move forward with us! At NJ TRANSIT, you’ll join us in transforming the third-largest transportation agency in North America. We are committed to delivering safe, reliable service that gets our customers to their destinations on time—and we’re looking to hire talented folks with a love of learning to make it all possible.
We are seeking a dynamic, results-driven Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) to provide the day-to-day, strategic and tactical leadership in our HR division in support of NJ TRANSIT’s mission to become a world class public transportation provider. S/he will lead an HR team of 88 to support an organization of 11,700 employees and will be charged to deliver a talent acquisition, retention and succession planning program to achieve optimal organizational performance and growth. Reporting to the SVP & Chief Administrative Officer, the CHRO will oversee a collaborative partnership with senior leadership and labor unions on all aspects of HR management, operations, policies and practices for NJ TRANSIT.
HR Policies and Management:
- Directs the development of Human Resources approaches to a variety of operational and strategic challenges, such as organization effectiveness initiatives, process and procedure redesign, talent identification and deployment, workforce, turnover, procedures and process reviews, and designs programs to continually improve HR efficiency and effectiveness.
- Directs the development, implementation and administration of a multi-faceted employee engagement program that results in measureable enhancements to employee and customer satisfaction.
- Directs the development of and consistent interpretation and application of NJ TRANSIT’s policies and procedures.
- Directs the development, implementation and administration of a strategic vision for the acquisition and development of talent at all levels and in all areas of NJ TRANSIT.
- Designs and ensures the implementation of standards for applicant sourcing, testing, screening, selection, on-boarding and placement.
- Directs the development, implementation and administrative for a comprehensive Corporate Compensation strategy that supports the objectives of NJ TRANSIT and is consistent with the direction of the State Government.
HR Information Systems:
- Directs the design and implementation of appropriate automated human resources information systems and insures the introduction and use of effective HR metrics and analytics across all HR disciplines
Learning & Development:
- Directs the design, development and implementation of a robust Management Development & Learning program
- Develop and implement training programs for employee growth and development.
- Evaluate effectiveness of all learning programs.
- Provide feedback to HR to improve employee selection methodologies.
Employee Relations & Assistance:
- Directs NJ TRANSIT’s employee relations function which is responsible for advising all levels of management and employees on employee relations matters and providing an internal resource for employees or management on issue mediation and resolution.
- Directs design, development and implementation of a Tri-State assessment, crisis intervention, and treatment and follow-up program for NJ TRANSIT employees and family members through an Employee Assistance Program.
- Directs NJ TRANSIT’s Medical Services and Employee Assistance Program function; ensures NJ TRANSIT’s medical practices and procedures are followed in accordance with federal, state and company policies (State Workers’ Compensation plan and our self-insured plan); Directs the interpretation of federal and state laws concerning confidentiality, drug and alcohol requirements, Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, FRA and FTA rules and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business/Public Administration or related area.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible, broad-based management experience in Human Resources within a large, matrixed organization with multiple unions and contracts, increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning.
- Excellent leadership, management, organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR best practices, change management, employment and labor law and familiarity with various state, federal and industry regulations.
- Proven proficiency in building relationships and working collaboratively with labor unions and other stakeholders to improve operational, performance and customer experience.
- Ability to identify needs and opportunities for change within an organization and to provide strong guidance and leadership to strategically map and execute change.
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to manage multiple large-scale projects that directly impact the strategic direction and success of the organization.
- Exceptional project management, organizational, interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, oral, and written communication skills.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s Degree in Business/Public Administration/Human Resources or related area along with HR certification (e.g., PHR, SPHR)
- Experience leading major systems change initiative in a large organization.
At NJ TRANSIT you will enjoy a competitive salary and excellent benefit package:
- Comprehensive Family Health Insurance – Prescription, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Leave
- 401(a), 401(k) Retirement Plans--up to 9% match
- Tuition Assistance
- Qualified Transportation Expense Plan (QTE)
At NJ TRANSIT, we support and depend upon the diversity of our staff.
NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.