To assist the President/CEO, Sparrow Hospital in providing overall leadership and direction for Sparrow Hospital Patient Care Services by ensuring that quality, cost-effective, and compassionate patient care is provided to the patients and customers. The CNO is responsible for sustaining the standards of nursing practice in all areas in which nurse's practice in the hospital. The CNO participates in the development of a strategic mission, vision, and plan for the Health System. Specifically, in collaboration with the President, COO, and other Vice Presidents to translates the Health System strategic mission, vision, and plan into a clinical practice plan for Patient Care Services.
1. The CNO's major responsibility relates to leading, planning, organizing, staffing, communicating, collaborating, facilitating and evaluating. The CNO is responsible for the recruitment, selection, and development of the department directors in assigned hospital cost centers, service lines, and subsidiaries.
2. The CNO serves on community boards and volunteers to serve on numerous community organizations, boards, and committees.
3. In the absence of the CNO, the VP of Nursing acts on her/his behalf under the direction of the President/CEO and/or Chief Operating Officer.
- Responsible for management functions of planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and communicating for the division of nursing, other designated departments, and service lines.
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, and development of the Patient Care Services administrative team.
- Primary liaison with the nursing community and professional nursing organizations, representing the Hospital at various nursing meetings; is a member of various nursing organizations.
- Provide overall leadership for the Hospital Patient Care Services.
- Represent nursing services to the President/CEO, governing boards, and medical staff.
- Participate in the development of and leadership in implementing the Health System's strategic plan and annual operating and financial plans for designated areas.
- Provide leadership in the development of the nursing clinical practice plan and annual operating and financial plans.
- Provide information and advise the President/CEO regarding current and projected nursing trends, areas of deficiency and significant activities in the nursing profession.
- Provide leadership in the development of a collaborative relationship between the medical and nursing staff.
- Represents the Health System in the community, educational institutions, and professional nursing organizations.
- Serve as a member of the PAC, Medical Staff Executive Committee, and Board Quality Committee.
- Serve as administrative liaison to assigned medical staff departments.
- Serve as executive to assigned clinical service lines.
- Serve as an ex-officio member on the Sparrow Board of Directors.
- Participate with the executive team, governing board, and medical staff in planning the future direction of the Hospital and Health System in a manner that is consistent with the organizational mission, community need, and economic solvency.
- Provide overall leadership and management of the Hospital's patient care services and service lines.
- Maintain full compliance with all regulatory agencies by continually monitoring the patient care services operations and initiating changes where appropriate.
- Develop a nursing organizational climate and culture that is consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the organization and communicate the mission, vision, and values throughout the division of nursing.
- Promote nursing education and research efforts.
- Direct and supervise all nursing services' activities by recruiting, selecting, and developing an effective Department Director team.
- Provide assistance to supervisory personnel in establishing clear department role statements and objectives; determining staffing needs and standards of productivity; establishing policies and procedures and appropriate patient care delivery systems with corresponding position descriptions; complying with state licensing boards.
- Continually monitors quality, customer satisfaction, and financial performance with the division of nursing and initiates changes to ensure ongoing improvement in all areas.
- Consults and advises Department Directors on a regular basis, evaluates performance based on mutually agreed upon expectations; evaluates competency of the nursing staff and makes appropriate changes as needed; seeks to maintain Associate morale and a professional, healthful, positive atmosphere and environment in the division of nursing.
- Works closely with the President of the Health System, COO, other Vice Presidents, medical staff, and other members in the performance of her/his assigned duties in order to maximize optimal operational efficiency of nursing and patient care services.
· Ensure the provision of affordable health care services through appropriate utilization and available resources (human, financial, and physical) and the development of improved practices and systems.