Are you moved to action by watching a new technology that helps people improve their lives unfold before your eyes? Do you dream about the intersection of technology and positive health outcomes every night? Do you dream about a position where your work could positively impact the lives of more than 400 million people? If so, we’d love to talk to you about Probably Genetic. We’re looking for a CMO who always sweats the small stuff and cares about impeccable experiences for patients and improved outcomes for genetic disorders. If you see failures in healthcare delivery as an enjoyable challenge rather than a hardship and if you are willing to put in long hours to see a project come to fruition, get in touch with us today.
We are seeking a CMO to help us build a data-driven healthcare company. You are keenly interested in faster access to care and better treatment approaches by leveraging technology and data at scale. In this role, you will become a crucial member of Probably Genetic’s team and as such will be essential for every aspect of the company’s clinical success. Specifically, your main responsibilities will include (1) Clinical and (2) Strategic Projects. You will also play an important part in our (3) Growth.
What you’ll do:
- Clinical: Provide medical leadership for Probably Genetic and to internal teams to ensure the clinician perspective is integrated into business strategy and product design. Participate in all significant scientific, business and policy decisions impacting the clinical utility and quality of testing services. Be the guardian of quality by ensuring that all clinical programs are conducted according to appropriate ethical/medical/scientific standards. Keep abreast of emerging trends in healthcare delivery; identify and define new and innovative strategies to achieve business goals and objectives. Honor requests for consultations from clinicians regarding the appropriateness and interpretation of laboratory tests. Expand, develop and maintain the existing clinical network with external medical/scientific experts, new clinicians and key opinion leaders. Provide clinical guidance, support and education to internal and external stakeholders and community members.
- Strategic Projects: You will play an essential role in developing our product from a diagnostic service into an integrated healthcare offering, as well as partnerships with drug developers, disease advocacy groups, researchers and clinicians. You will work closely with a diverse interdisciplinary team, including science, product, technology, supply chain, regulatory, compliance and marketing to launch products that revolutionize how genetic information is delivered and used by consumers and physicians to improve health outcomes in rare diseases. The ideal candidate will appreciate the ways in which we balance the scientific mindset of a world class research team with a pragmatic, product-oriented approach. Specific strategic projects where you may have an impact include assistance in support of our technology team as it builds computational models to better identify patients with potential rare diseases, designing classifiers to associate phenotypic profiles with possible genetic mutations, developing treatment guidelines for rare disease patients, building data products for drug developers, and physician network designs.
- Growth: Closely linked to Clinical will be your support of our Growth. Keep abreast of emerging trends in genetics, genomics and rare diseases; identify and define new and innovative strategies to achieve business goals and objectives. Monitor the competitive landscape closely and assist the company in adapting its strategy in response to changes in the external environment. Work closely with the product, analytics, genomic, and development teams, to help set our company's goals and partner in the development of our next products.
In addition to your core responsibilities, you will help recruit for the Probably Genetic team and shape our culture. As we expand, you will help grow the team both to support your own domains as well as for other functions in the organization. Further, other business activities have to be handled on a day-to-day basis. When flights have to be booked, we book flights. When team events have to be organized, we organize team events. We are still a small organization and everyone has to be willing to take care of everything.
Importantly, you will not be left alone with any of these responsibilities. We are a team and will work together on almost every initiative. As we expand, responsibilities and teams will become more distinct and functionally specialized.
If you believe that genomics is one of the most fundamental drivers of innovation of the 21st century, you’re dissatisfied with the status quo of existing companies in the space, and you want to become a leader at a young, high-powered startup, this is the role for you.
Although this position is multi-faceted, the following are a core set of abilities, skills, interests, and experiences that are required for success in this role:
- Medical Doctorate in a related field is required. Board Certified in Clinical Pathology or Genetics related specialty (e.g. Molecular Genetic Pathology, Laboratory
- Genetics and Genomics, or Clinical Genetics and Genomics) is preferred. Valid medical license in at least one state required.
- Successful candidate will have a minimum of 2 years of progressive leadership and clinical experience and have demonstrated commitment to excellence in practice, continuous improvement, and innovation. Experience with clinic-organized medical staff and remote care organizations is a bonus, as well as experience implementing and maintaining a patient-centered culture.
- You are a strategic thinker who drives execution and embraces innovation in healthcare. You believe that getting healthcare consumers the right information in an effective and secure manner is critical to enabling them to select the best paths forward to preserve and increase their personal health and the health of their families.
- Deep understanding and compelling vision for the use of genetics and genomics in rare disease populations (now and in the future)
- Strong motivation to work at the intersection of healthcare and technology; demonstrated familiarity with the healthcare ecosystem (payers, providers, patients, devices, drugs), population health, clinical decision-makers, etc. Interest in machine-learning, artificial intelligence and next-generation sequencing is a bonus.
- Biased toward action and enthusiasm to work in an environment in which high-pace science has a significant impact on the landscape of opportunities, and our roadmap
- Knowledge of HIPAA, CLIA, CAP and FDA diagnostic and analytic testing regulations
- Ability to communicate, evangelize, influence, and partner with key stakeholders, including product partners, developer communities and industry consortia
- "Roll-up-your-sleeves" entrepreneurial, startup attitude. Aptitude for prioritizing work and focus.
- Creative, analytical thinker: Is an exceptional, analytical, and conceptual thinker with the ability to shift quickly between high-level and detail-oriented thinking. Must be able to think through and find answers for ambiguous and open-ended questions
- Proactive & intellectually curious: Independently capable of seeking information, solving complex interpersonal or operational problems, persuading and aligning resources, and delivering results
- Low ego: Leaves ego at the door—Probably Genetic’s products, approach, and culture will likely be significant departures from past experiences, and you will be expected to learn about Probably Genetic from the ground up, regardless of resume or experience
- Facilitation: Facilitates discussions to identify problems and solutions and fosters constructive debate to uncover new possibilities
- People: Possesses a passion for the development of self and others, a high degree of self-awareness, fosters a non-hierarchical exchange of ideas, and evaluates ideas without regard to the status or role of the individuals who communicate them
- Embraces constant change: Probably Genetic is evolving quickly and you must be comfortable working at the pace at which the business is moving
- High Emotional Quotient: Able to handle delicate situations and diverse personalities
- Passion for Probably Genetic’s mission and business