Imagine being part of the Travelers Medical Advantage
Did you know that Travelers has a long history of innovation in improving patient outcomes and medical cost management? Innovations, such as our patented ConciergeCLAIM® Nurse program, over 500 in-house nurses, state of the art predictive modeling powering our patented nurse triage process, our Early Severity Predictor Program that identifies injured employees at a greater risk for chronic pain plus many more programs that make us the number one writer of workers' compensation insurance in the US.
As the Medical Leader, you will help develop the strategy for one of the largest Property and Casualty insurance carriers in the US, Travelers. The Travelers Chief Medical Director will lead the strategy and operations of Travelers Claim Medical initiatives focusing on how developments in the broader medical environment impact P&C product lines.
- If you believe we can improve medical outcomes and lower the cost of medical care.
- If you are on top of new and emerging healthcare technologies that can advance our ability to effectively treat and manage work related injuries.
- If you can deliver medical strategies that enhance business results and maximize the overall outcome for the claimant.
- If you have what it takes to work across the Claim organization (Workers' Compensation, Auto and General Liability) and contribute to the Travelers' brand.
- If you possess the unique blend of business, healthcare and legislative knowledge necessary to oversee Travelers' medical review functions.
Then this is the opportunity for you!
- The preferred location is Hartford, CT followed by Dallas, TX, St. Paul, MN, or Tampa, FL.
- Other locations located near a Travelers claim center will be considered.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Your Day involves providing overall program leadership as the organization's leading physician. You will serve as the key enabler and facilitator for the Travelers medical strategies and represent the Travelers brand both internally and externally. This position will oversee the following key areas:
Medical Claim Product Research, Strategy and Innovation:
- Design and direct innovative, outcome focused strategies and business plans for medical related product development and enhancements. Strategies may influence design, marketing, best practices, system development, vendor management, policies and procedures and response to legislative and regulatory issues.
- Conduct industry research and analysis related to medical, healthcare and group health trends and practices to keep Travelers at the leading edge of the P&C industry.
- Partner with stakeholders to develop and design projects and proofs of concept to improve business results.
- Stay connected to industry and relevant external bodies/associations to assess trends and coordinate Travelers medical position as appropriate.
- Inform Product and Underwriting insights as appropriate to anticipate, respond to and manage trends.
- Attend external forums representing Travelers. Function as a liaison and professional relations contact on a local and national level.
- May provide input and support medical vendor strategies including vendor selection, negotiation and contracting.
Medical Direction and Oversight:
- Participate in the design and development of organizational design and workflows that ensure effective implementation of medical strategies.
- Oversee engagement of Regional Medical Directors, Medical Consortiums and other medical resources as appropriate. Train and evaluate physician and non-physician medical review personnel and activities.
- Stay apprised of changes in medical technology and adjust review organizational design and workflows functions accordingly.
- Interpret regulations, statutes and guidelines to establish medical policies as necessary.
- Provide input into the investigation of new technology and the application for improving business process and increasing productivity.
Claim Practices & Support:
- Provide Medical guidance, support and direction as needed to the Claim Field organization.
- This position may manage others.
Licensed MD 5 years clinical and utilization management experience Certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- Understanding of healthcare systems including Hospital Services, Pharmacy and Group Health insurance
- Strong background in Occupational Medicine
- Background in pain management or orthopedics a plus
- Understanding of the psychological factors in achieving optimal medical outcomes a plus
- Experience leading major projects or transformational initiatives from inception through implementation
- Management experience preferred
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and collaborate on innovative projects
- Demonstrated thought leadership
- Strong research and project management skills
- Ability to analyze business problems thoughtfully and draw conclusions in uncertain situations
- Ability to communicate complex issues and connect with all levels of the organization
- Direct and/or indirect leadership skills
- Financial management and analysis skills
- Weekend work hours – Occasionally
- Overnight work hours – Occasionally
- Holiday work hours (Federal and religious) – Occasionally
- Travel – Occasionally
- Operates standard office equipment – Frequently
- Sitting (Can stand at will) – Frequently
- Standing – Occasionally
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key – Frequently