$150K - $200K(Ladders Estimates)
Please submit a comprehensive CV, a cover letter which sets out your interest in the role and encapsulates the aspects of your experience relevant to the required criteria, and the names and addresses of three references. References will not be approached until the final stages and not without prior permission from candidates.
The Chief Marketing & Communications Officer (CMCO) will lead USOPC brand and reputation management initiatives, including setting and stewarding overall strategic direction for the organization and its brands (USOPC, Team USA, and all related properties).
Key areas of responsibility will include internal and external communications, public affairs, media relations, government relations, brand management, digital and social strategy and content, reputation management, crisis management, and stakeholder communications (including athletes, NGBs, the International Olympic family, donors, the US Congress, NBC and other media partners).
The new CMCO will work closely with LA 2028 and US Olympic and Paralympic Properties (USOPP) to provide consistent and collaborative communications and brand stewardship to ensure alignment and optimization of the promotion and development of Olympic and Paralympic opportunities on the road to LA28. This includes activation and storytelling around all Games events leading up to 2028.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Initiate and take ownership for the creation, implementation, and ongoing development of a communications and marketing strategy across the Olympic and Paralympic Movement.
2. Serve as a member of the USOPC executive team by listening and collaborating with the senior executives of each division and external organization where appropriate, considering all relevant points of view from critical constituents and actively addressing complex and sensitive issues in a proactive and timely manner.
3. Provide leadership of, and motivation to, the USOPC's entire communications and marketing team. Attract, build, lead, and retain a high performing, multifunctional team that is dedicated to the mission of the organization.
4. Bring the mission, vision, and positioning to life using innovative, fluid, and relevant methods across all engagement channels, including digital, mobile, social, and others. Lead all creative, branding and branded experience initiatives for the USOPC.
5. Oversee all USOPC brands, including the USOPC, Team USA, Olympic Trials, Olympic and Paralympic Training Centers and Sites, and create a strategic brand strategy to elevate and steward each brand against its core target audiences and objectives.
6. Provide executive leadership for all communications activities of the USOPC and its constituencies leading up to and including the Olympic, Paralympic, Pan American and Parapan Games.
7. In collaboration with the USOPC leadeship team, develop, plan, and deliver annual PR and external communications plans across all media channels, including both traditional and social media platforms.
8. Own, manage, and update crisis management strategy and plans.
9. Oversee efforts to develop the USOPC digital network into an engaging, highly-viewed and consumer-facing asset that promotes Olympic and Paralympic athletes and becomes a compelling digital destination for the Olympic and Paralympic Movements.
10. Build and transform the digital fan engagement strategy and experience to capture a direct connection with Team USA fans and build loyalty across the fan base.
11. Improve the collection and usage of data, analytics, and insights to identify and "listen" to key audiences (athletes, fans, governing bodies, and partners), improvde data-driven decision making.
12. Lead the Press office function, developing strong relationships with key media members and organizations to secure impactful media coverage both online and offline.
13. Establish and provide oversight around all subfunction budgets within the department, working with departmental leaders to determine the appropriate spending in all areas for optimal results.
14. Establish goals, objectives, and performance metrics and develop an appropriate marketing investment level based on USOPC objectives. Continuously improve effectiveness and the ROI of a markeing mix that drives engagement across all stakeholder channels.
15. Lead an active community relations and philanthropic programs across prioritized communities (Headquarters, Training Centers, Olympic/Paralympic host cities, etc.) that educate community stakeholders and forge strong relationships.
16. Provide leadership, direction, and oversight of the USOPC's government relations efforts to maximize strong relationships and leverage federal, state, and local opportunities.
Minimum Qualifications Required
Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, PR or related field
Master's degree preferred
10-15 years of experience in a communications or strategic marketing role, sports administration/ leadership or related transferable experience
Deep background overseeing complex communications programs and forward-thinking initiatives on behalf of high-profile properties or brands
Significant experience in consumer-facing, fast-paced marketing environments
Proven stewardship of a world-class communications and marketing organization, ideally as a visible, high-level executive responsible for building and leading large, diverse teams while navigating transformation by collaborating with and influencing multiple stakeholders
Experience with the creation of strategic direction through to execution of all aspects of marketing including advertising, traditional print and broadcast, digital, and social media
Success in a complex matrixed organization with a variety of influential and passionate stakeholders
Familiarity with complex sponsorship development and management, global sports marketing, event management, and property promotion
Experience "selling" concepts and ideas, and to generate enthusiasm for events, people, and mission-driven organizations
Excellent understanding of the media landscape, regionally, domestically, and internationally
Innate ability to communicate with different stakeholders, negotiate influence, and build rapport at all levels
Capability to distill information clearly and to explain complex issues with precision and consistency
Proven ability to manage a large variety of complex issues and projects calmly and simultaneously
Demonstrated strength in leading teams, developing talent and building a culture of accountability and empowerment
Established pattern of collaborative relationship-building skills with internal and external stakeholders
Demonstrated passion for competitive sports and ideally demonstrated experience with sports sponsorship and the sporting world
Proven ability to understand and communicate the requirements (physical, mental, and emotional) to be an elite athlete on a global stage
Proven crisis management skills
Strong operational skills, including talent management and budget management
Proven communication skills with cultures and constituencies outside the U.S.
Tools, Equipment, & Conditions
Office environment in multi-story building and/or on multi-building complex
Standard office equipment
Extensive national and international travel
on-traditional work hours, including weekends, evenings, and holidays
Regular attendance at work is an essential job function
Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
Entrepreneurial Spirit: Inspired to perform well by an ability to drive new ventures within the business
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization.
Valid Through: 2019-10-28