We seek leaders who have shown a demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is an amazing opportunity for a motivated and impact-driven leader to join a dynamic, mission-driven public media organization and serve as General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer. This role leads a team of experienced lawyers, paralegals and other professionals to help NPR navigate a complex media landscape, solve problems, and fulfill our mission to create a more informed public.
- Represent NPR as our chief legal officer;
- Develop and lead corporate legal strategy consistent with NPR’s mission and culture;
- Serve as a key member of the CEO’s executive team;
- Lead a sophisticated in-house legal team of approximately 20 attorneys, paralegals and other professionals
- Advise on all legal needs of NPR, including a variety of tax, governance, media law, intellectual property, litigation, labor, employment, and other regulatory and legal matters;
- Advise senior management on NPR’s compliance with all laws, regulations, and rules applicable to NPR, identifying issues, options, risks and creative solutions;
- Oversee significant business transactions and contract negotiations;
- Advise on material legal and business risks, including risks to NPR’s reputation and legal and financial condition, including as a tax-exempt organization;
- Develop operational efficiencies in providing effective legal support to NPR’s programs, operations, and activities;
- Oversee the drafting, preparation and approval of all materials related to the formal functioning of the NPR Board of Directors including resolutions, reports and minutes;
- Serve as chief ethics officer of the organization;
- Work closely with other departments and across the executive team, providing practical, thoughtful, and timely legal advice.
EDUCATION: Degree from an accredited law school and membership in the District of Columbia or the Bar of the highest court of a state and eligible to be admitted to the D.C. Bar upon motion.
Minimum of 15 years of legal experience, ideally with senior in-house counsel experience in a complex media organization advising on a variety of legal issues, transactions and contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to bring a sophisticated business perspective to complex media industry issues, with a cross-functional ethos and roll-up-the-sleeves attitude.
- Highest level of integrity and commitment to our public service mission.
- Decisive practitioner who is adept at making decisions, exercising business judgment, advising on risk, and explaining complex legal issues in a straightforward manner.
- Strong leader and persuasive communicator with ability to motivate and inspire a team.
- Successful track record of leading and managing a diverse group of accomplished attorneys and other legal professionals.
- Significant executive experience, stature, and overall credibility as a senior lawyer and trusted business advisor; able to communicate and synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly and convincingly.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion