Want to be part of a team that will grow to serve double the people in Lake County, Indiana within the next 5 years Would you like to work for one of the fastest-growing Y's in the Midwest
Join us! We are building a healthier Lake County Indiana. We were serving 1 out of every 9 people in Lake County and are on our way to serve 1 out of 4. We strongly believe in being affordable to all and are approaching $1 million in financial assistance this year to ensure everyone can participate regardless of their ability to pay. If you are a servant leader with a passion for what the cause-driven YMCA values, put your skills to work by helping us grow and achieve our vision.
ending retirement of long-time YMCA CFO, the Crossroads YMCA is looking for a strategic leader to serve as a Chief Financial Officer. The CFO will work under the guidance of the CEO and Finance Committee to administer the business and financial operations. An ideal candidate will have executive-level experience in developing and overseeing business finance operations for a large non-profit.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening our community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Chief Financial Officer at Crossroads YMCA serves on the CEO’s senior leadership team; oversees and manages financial matters, investments and information systems; and provides strategic direction and leadership for YMCA business operations and initiatives. The Chief Financial Officer also positions the Y as a community convener and collaborator to address critical social issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with 8 years of fiscal management is required. Certified Public Accountant and/or advanced degree is preferred.
- Non-profit organization and multi-site organization experience is preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of general business matters required, including budget development, GAAP, financial report, cash management, insurance, business taxes, banking, and debt financing instruments.
- Experience with investment management and asset allocation preferred.
- Knowledge of computer systems, including experience with system selection, new system implementation and project management. Microsoft Office experience and ability to quickly learn other software programs is required.
- CPR/AED/First Aid and New Employee Orientation required with 30 days of hire.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills and experience in managing a high-functioning team is required.
- Monitors monthly financial operations, prepares analysis and reports, and gives guidance to executive and operating team. Partners with operations team on issues that affect financial outcome. Secures and allocates program or projects resources so that strategic objectives can be achieved. Prepares specific recommendations.
- Manages the team members and operations of the accounting/finance, information systems and other assigned departments.
- Oversees and certifies the annual audit and meets periodically with the outside auditors to keep them informed of changes in the YMCA. Ensures that current account standards and legal requirements are met.
- Actively engages the board in challenging conversations and decision-making to advance the Y’s impact. Works directly with assigned committee(s) of the board (e.g., Finance) to build volunteer relationships, develop policies, monitor implementation, and meet the related needs of the board.
- Anticipates trends and implications on the future of the organization. Manages investments, under the direction of the Finance Committee and within previously approved risk tolerance.
- Develops performance indicators and measurements systems for tracking strategic plan objectives. Evaluates current business models and leads efforts to modify or redesign business models where necessary.
- Oversees preparation of reports to YMCA of the USA and governmental agencies. Oversees preparation of tax returns including IRS Form 990 and property returns.
- Oversees the development of the annual operating budget with COO and CEO, including all branch budgets. Contributes to guiding the organization to make strategic choices about business operations. Works closely with operations staff to ensure that branch budgets are well-planned, realistic, and prepared in a timely manner.
- Manages debt and line of credit and files all necessary reports. Establishes, maintains and/or monitors all banking and financing relationships.
- Manages insurance policies, renewals, and claims as well as systems and processes related to .
- Manages grant applications, awards, reporting and related accounting for restricted funds.
- Maintains all necessary records and accounting reports and records all transactions on a timely basis.
- Retains good working relationships with auditors, bankers, investment counselors, attorney, and other professional advisors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.