Our client is a tech startup company rolling out a machine learning service. The founders have decades of success in different but closely related industries, building multiple software products that have millions of users, hundreds of global enterprise clients, influencing many billion-dollar decisions, and chaired and keynoted major conferences.
The founders have previously proven their ability to bootstrap a company from nothing and grow a small team into a multinational corporation. Despite all this past success, the founding team believes this could be the most important enterprise they have ever undertaken.
The underlying technology combines proven techniques in novel ways to address fundamental problems with existing AI solutions. We are focusing on understandability, explainability, transparency, privacy, and ability to train on small amounts of data. Our aim is to fundamentally change the AI landscape for the better.
We are seeking a highly effective, mission-driven, high-integrity and strategic Chief Financial Officer to dramatically scale the company?s impact and value. The Chief Financial Officer and her/ his team will elegantly budget expenses and forecast revenue; guide meaningful and quantitativefinancial planning; expertly evaluate new organic business model, lead Venture Capital fund-raising opportunities; partner with the management team and board to drive smart large-scale financing, and play a significant leadership role in the operations, culture and growth of the company.
The right candidate for this position will understand the needs, opportunities, and challenges inherent to startups. At this phase, if there?s not a specialist for a job, you or the CEO will be doing it: IT, facilities, sales, support, outreach, financials, fundraising, the list goes on! You will serve as a key member of the senior management team and report directly to the CEO. We need someone who embraces the tasks needed to move a startup forward, but who?s ready to scale with a fast-growing, larger company. We strive to hire professionals with strong business acumen, excellent people skills, and exemplary work ethic.
He/She will be responsible for directing Finance and Accounting and will partner with the CEO and Management team to drive business planning and forecasting in conjunction with execution in the business units. The CFO will function as an advocate for openness and inclusion in planning and decision-making and serve as a resource to facilitate the achievement of corporate goals. She/ he will develop business metrics and strategic planning tools that drive results. She/ he will serve as a passionate teacher and mentor and grow leaders at all levels and hold them accountable.
- Key member of the Management Team, Financial Leader and Culture driver
- Develop and drive necessary financial policies, procedures, and internal controls, and play a leading role in directing change initiatives and process improvements
- Role model for the company in communication style, and respect for colleagues, clients, partners and users
- Support investor and board relationship management, including presentation of financial updates at quarterly board meetings, and monthly investor updates
- Lead private and possibly public financings
- Lead strategic fund-raising initiatives
- Oversee Corporate Counsel and Legal team. Oversee Talent and Human Resources team, and continuously improve systems, processes and standards for attracting, retaining and developing amazing people
- Oversee all Finance and Accounting operations, including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition, and ensure systems and controls
- Support strategy, operations and financial planning with financial modeling and data analysis, that guides business model and market segment evaluation and development
- Develop and manage budgets and long-range financial forecasts
- Optimize procurement, AR and AP processes and collaborate with management to maintain strong, positive and financially beneficial vendor and customer relationships
- Manage the entire month end closing, reconciliation and financialreporting process including account analysis and reconciliation
- Establish and maintain documentation of internal controls, policies and procedures related to financialreporting and compliance; ensure trustworthy quality control over financial transactions and reporting
- Manage and develop detailed performance reporting, including analysis of key performance metrics
- Manage audits end-to-end, including vendor selection and ongoing communication with auditors, tax advisors, and 3rd party professional service providers
- Manage relationships with outside auditors, banks, investors, analysts, and other advisors
- Ensure compliance with company policies, regulatory requirements, as well as local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must have the following qualifications:
- Proven experience as a CFO in a start-up environment
- Relevant BA/BS degree or higher education
- Strong working knowledge of business functions to include HR, Finance, Marketing, etc.
- Silicon Valley Fund Raising for technology start-ups ? someone that has taken a company from start to exit would be ideal
- Strong ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and motivate professional staff
- Fundraising skills and knowledge of the venture capital space is REQUIRED
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills, with a demonstrated ability to hold your own in a discussion with other senior leaders, customers, and potential investors
- That rare mix of intelligence, integrity, domain knowledge, verbal agility, and diplomacy which allows you to rapidly earn the trust of teams across the company
- Demonstrated organizational, decision making, problem solving, and leadership skills
When looking for a job, have you ever heard the phrase? it?s not about what you know, it?s about who you know?
At HireNetworks' company, Campbell & James Executive Search, it really is all about who we know.
By leveraging our strong community and business relationships, we ensure access to a high-end talent base of executives who meet and exceed your needs. At Campbell & James Executive Search, finding high-end talent for high-end organizations is what we do best.
HireNetworks and Campbell & James are equal opportunity employers.