Portland Public Schools (PPS) is seeking talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences to lead change and inspire PPS students. At PPS, every employee, despite having different roles, is an educator. We hope to attract a talented Chief Financial Officer who models the core PPS. Educator Essentials. With the District’s focus on eliminating systemic racism and its adverse impact on student learning, we seek to hire individuals who bring to our district a deep commitment to racial equity and social justice.
We are seeking a Chief Financial Officer to join our Business and Operations team. The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for leading a full spectrum of financial services for Portland Public Schools, including General Ledger Accounting, Grant Accounting, Treasury, Accounts Payable and Receivable, Budgeting, Payroll, Financial Systems, and Purchasing & Contracting. The Chief Financial Officer will guide the Finance team in building strong relationships and partnerships throughout the organization. With responsibility for ensuring district funds are managed effectively and are accurately reported, this position is a key leader to the successful operations of Portland Public Schools.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serve as financial expert/consultant to the Superintendent and the Board of Education by providing counsel, expertise, and guidance to the Superintendent, the Board of Education, District officials, administrators, and staff in financial services matters.
- Engage with a broad spectrum of community members and media outlets through multiple forms of communication to clearly articulate how the District’s fiscal policies and practices support the achievement of the District’s strategic vision.
- Lead and inspire the Financial Services team in the delivery of financial processes, developing cross-functional partnerships, and providing innovative and reliable financial guidance and support throughout PPS. Direct staff in the performance and completion of analysis, measurement, and reporting of financial and operational activities within the General Ledger Accounting, Grant Accounting, Treasury, Accounts Payable and Receivable, Budgeting, Planning & Analysis, Payroll, Financial Systems, and Purchasing & Contracting teams.
- Oversee the development and preparation of the annual budget for the District.
- Direct, oversee, and monitor financial and strategic planning to assure fiscal integrity and accountability for the District.
- Develop and implement long and short-term plans and activities to meet both the educational and financial goals of the District, including the prioritization of resources. Implement a strategy to ensure that the District’s budget and expenditures align to the goals of the District’s strategic plan.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, or related field.
Eight (8) or more years of Finance, Accounting, or Contract Management experience. A minimum of three (3) working in a public sector environment or with a medium to large private-sector employer (300+employees). Five (5) or more years leading and managing teams.
Any other combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities will be considered.
- Experience working and/or consulting in a unionized environment
- Proven ability to influence and develop strong working relationships with multiple partners, including leaders, peers, and external stakeholders
- Commitment and demonstrated experiences of leading, coaching, and guiding organizational change to increase cultural and linguistic diversity within organizations and/or departments
- Strategic thinking capability paired with the ability to motivate others
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaborative teams and mentor personnel
- Demonstrated ability to deliver excellence in the fields of Finance and Accounting through large teams in complex environments
- Ability to develop consistency of process while demonstrating in an environment of transformation and change
- Familiarity with the structures and systems of pre-K-12 environment
- Experience working for a municipal organization
Position open until filled with initial screening for applicants on October 8, 2020, at 4:00 PST.
Salary Range: $165,000 - $185,000