Reporting to and partnering with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will play a critical role in developing and implementing the financial planning and strategy for Merrick. This key person will work closely with our Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, and President to guide Merrick & Company.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the CFO will be primarily responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization and overseeing the current team of 30. The CFO will have primary responsibility for finance, accounting, credit, and forecasting. Additionally, this person will provide critical support for strategic planning, acquisition strategy, and shareholder relations as well as the oversight of Risk Management. The ideal person will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
FINANCIAL REPORTING, PLANNING, and ANALYSIS
- Provide analysis, insight and advice on operational performance to the CEO, Chief Operations Officer, and Business Unit Leaders for sound decision making for the firm. Develop internally compiled reports and metrics to provide useful information for management of the business.
- Directs the Accounting Group in providing and directing procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records; afford adequate accounting and project controls; and facilitate accurate and timely preparation of financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Communicate financial performance and trends to the Board of Directors, senior management, and staff throughout the year.
- Directs the Accounting Group in activities such as custodian of funds, securities and assets of the organization.
- Oversees the treasury function and reviews the corporate cash position and cash management techniques and recommends investment alternatives.
- Directs and coordinates the establishment of the Firm’s annual operating and capital budget for approval by the Board. Monitors performance monthly against the budget and meets with appropriate managers to identify measures to close gaps.
- Oversees bank relations and maintains line of credit.
COMPLIANCE / RISK MANAGEMENT
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates the effectiveness of the Procurement, Risk Management, Legal, Compliance and Facilities groups. Manages, mentors, and evaluates the performance of the managers of each of these groups.
- Ensure that financial information used by internal and external stakeholders is prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and client reporting and audit requirements.
- Supervises the development of client requested accounting information, negotiation of the financial aspects of federal contracts, and client or agency audits.
- Research impact of new accounting pronouncements.
- Interfaces with outside accounting firm on annual audit and tax return preparation.
- Monitors insurance programs and risk management controls, including contract review.
- Overseas the procurement of space, the negotiation of all office space leases, space planning and construction.
STRATEGY and GOVERNANCE
- Directs and analyzes studies of general economic, business and financial conditions and their impact on the organization’s policies and operations.
- Work closely with the CEO to analyze potential acquisitions and new business opportunities. Perform financial and tax due diligence, as needed.
- Administer elements of the shareholder stock purchase program and ESOP; liaison with outside advisors on annual valuation.
- Work with CEO and HR Director on financial management and oversight of employee benefit and compensation plans.
- Support CEO and Board of Directors in governance and committee participation (audit, stock, finance).
- Develop and implement effective tax planning strategies.
- Supports the CEO in the annual strategic planning process, including quarterly review of actions and Balanced Scorecard measures.
BUSINESS SYSTEMS and PROCESS IMPROVEMENT
- Develop and maintain systems to ensure adequate internal controls; maintain financialreporting systems and records to comply with management, government and client requirements.
- Benchmark financial performance against peer groups and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Partner with Information Technology Systems and COO on planned enhancements to business systems and infrastructure.
- With the COO, directs the accounting group in providing financial systems for project control and manpower management.
PERSONNEL / STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- Manages, mentors, and evaluates the performance of the Controller. Works with Controller to establish and implement short and long-term goals of the accounting group.
- Build high-performing finance team, able to scale with the growth and increased complexity of the business.
- Provide financial education and training as needed across the organization.
Management and Executive Skills
- Extensive experience in contributing to the creation and implementation of the overall corporate strategy.
- Senior level participation in the Employee Stock ownership program.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, and reasoning skills.
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) preferred.
- Background in Big 4 Public Accounting is a plus.
- Six (6) years minimum experience as a CFO in a mid-size private corporation or as a VP in larger corporation preferred.
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years total accounting or financeexperience.
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of GAAP.
- Experience in Architecture/Engineering/Construction (A/E/C) firm is a plus.
- Federal Government contracting experience a plus.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job ID 2018-1143